How to Get the Most out of Networking Events
Events like receptions, lectures, and conferences are the best places to network.
Here are some ideas on how to successfully network there:
- Attend as many events as possible, as early as possible.
- Decide which are of most value to you.
- Identify who you want to meet there.
- Ask a question, give your name, and talk to speakers. Ask a question that will be of interest to others in the audience, and don’t just give a long diatribe about your favorite hobbyhorse.
- Socialize. Attend any reception before or after the event. Introduce yourself and others. Do not just hang around with the people you already know.
- Organize your own event, such as a reading group, a lecture, or a dinner party.
- Follow-up post event, contacting people that might be of value.
This advice is excerpted from the IHS’ Creating Your Path to a Public Policy Career guide. Click the image below to view the guide.
Dr. Nigel Ashford is Senior Program Officer at the Institute for Humane Studies.