BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
R Street Institute
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country—is seeking someone who gets up every morning excited about the business development strategies that will help us grow from $8 to $20 million+ in the next few years. This brand new role is central to our future. If you want to join a young and energetic organization and do something extraordinary, this job may be for you.
If hired, your strategic priorities will include:
- Fill and manage the prospect pipeline and coach program heads on fundraising activities that align to strategic plans and maximize program impact.
- Implement a strategy that will enhance the experiences of those who support our work financially by demonstrating R Street’s measurable impact and creating strategies to grow existing relationships.
A typical day on the job might include refining a pitch deck on juvenile justice, analyzing new donors for an emerging tech project, consulting with the president on shifting a supporter to a multi-year relationship, managing proposal deadlines, partnering with the finance and energy teams to devise ways to leverage existing work into adjacent areas, or refining our brand positioning with the strategy team.
Skills and qualifications:
You should have experience in for-profit or non-profit business development, especially managing a pipeline and portfolio of prospects that includes large corporations, big foundations and/or major individual donors/clients. R Street’s fundraising model is unique in our space and your role will primarily be an in-house partner and strategist to fundraising leadership and an implementer of best practices that support strategic revenue growth. There are many ways you may have gained these skills; for example, as an internal sales lead for a research firm or an account manager for an information technology company. Some attributes we would like you to have include:
- Strong writing skills, editor’s eye, and demonstrable skills in writing for a donor/client audience
- Interpersonal skills that balance empathetic listening and straightforward communication
- Ability to manage up, self-direct, yet possess self-awareness to seek clarity and direction
- Operate with integrity and positivity and the ability to motivate colleagues at all levels in this regard
- Bachelor’s degree required; relevant on-the-job training or advanced degree is a plus
- Salesforce or other CRM application experience preferred
This is a full-time job based in Washington that requires a daily presence in our office. R Street is growing rapidly but remains a close-knit team. This position will report to the Director of Strategic Initiatives. R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a highly competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families); wellness benefit; employer-subsidized mobile phones benefit; 401(k) contributions with up to a four percent match from day one; and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity or anything else that's illegal, immoral or stupid to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. Candidates in whom we are interested will be contacted for telephone interviews, which will be conducted on a rolling basis. In-person interviews will be held in our D.C. office.
If you read through this job description and thought to yourself, “this is my dream job” or, “I never thought I could take my career in this exciting direction,” please send us a resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format, along with a cover letter pasted into the body of an email. If you do not have a resume that matches all of these qualifications but you are convinced you are a compelling candidate for this role, submit your application and make your case.
The email address for applications is firstname.lastname@example.org.