The Ayn Rand Institute (ARI) is searching for a talented and passionate controller to join our business operations team in our Santa Ana, California office. You will be responsible for all day-to-day finance operations including functional responsibility over all accounting processes, financial reporting, general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll. The controller is responsible for enforcing accounting policies, maintaining financial records, upholding a strong system of internal controls and preparing financial reports. This is an immediately available position, reporting to ARI’s senior VP.
The ideal candidate is a team player who will be responsible for working with ARI’s chart of accounts and accounting software. This individual will manage and track the performance of invested assets in order to achieve compliance with investment guidelines. The candidate will have the ability to compose financial reports for readers with varying levels of accounting knowledge. Specific responsibilities include general ledger maintenance, preparation of the statement of financial position, statement of activities, statement of cash flows, budget preparation, budget variance reporting, accounts payable processing, payroll processes, analyzing expense reporting, analyzing administrative workflow systems, and suggesting accounting software and practices improvements. This candidate should be well organized.
- Engages outside accounting firm for annual audit and tax return preparation.
- Implements and monitors internal controls and policies to ensure conformance and compliance with GAAP and other statutory requirements.
- Creates and analyzes monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports, including distributing monthly budget status reports to each department manager.
- Creates budget processes; compiles and analyzes budget and budget review data from department managers (including analysis of budget variances).
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Seasoned professional with a minimum five years of accounting experience as an accounting manager or above required.
- CPA or CMA a plus.
- Substantial experience applying GAAP, utilizing general ledger software to process accounting transactions and produce standard financial reports.
- Has previous history of maintaining a strong system of internal controls.
- High degree of ability utilizing Excel and ERP accounting and report writing software is crucial; specific knowledge of Sage 100 ERP preferred but not required.
- Experienced with Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Strong written, verbal, and collaboration skills.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented and able to multitask with excellent follow-up skills.
- Basic understanding of Objectivism preferred but must be comfortable with ARI’s positions.
- Not for profit accounting experience is a plus.
Those interested in applying for this position should forward a résumé and a cover letter including salary expectations to the attention of Human Resources Operations Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about ARI’s benefits can be found on our careers page.