Director of Annual Giving and Stewardship
Director of Annual Giving and Stewardship
Pacific Legal Foundation
Sacramento, CA, or Virtual
About Pacific Legal Foundation
Pacific Legal Foundation is the nation’s first and most successful public interest law firm dedicated to vindicating individual liberty. PLF identifies and litigates important legal issues to set landmark precedent that will benefit Americans nationwide. Using strategic and principled litigation, communications, and research, we battle for freedom in the nation’s courts and the court of public opinion. We’ve won an unprecedented ten victories before the U.S. Supreme Court, including two this year—a record of success unmatched by anyone in the liberty movement.
Pacific Legal Foundation seeks an entrepreneurial, optimistic, and energetic individual to join our fundraising team as Director of Annual Giving and Stewardship. The Director’s main objective will be to broaden PLF’s base of supporters, ensuring that donors feel connected to PLF and understand how their support is critical to advancing liberty. The Director will have a customer service mentality and know how to effectively engage supporters over time.
Primary responsibilities include developing and managing comprehensive direct mail, stewardship, prospecting, and research programs to generate annual financial contributions with the goal of expanding PLF’s base of support. Management experience is highly desired, as the Director of Annual Giving and Stewardship will have three direct reports. The Director will report to the Senior Director of Development.
PLF is engaged in a strategic expansion and this position provides an opportunity for the successful candidate to play a key leadership role on a team that will increase PLF’s national visibility and prominence. The position requires a disciplined, highly-organized self-starter with outstanding communication and management skills and a proven track record of driving multiple projects to completion within deadlines.
If you share our passion to vindicate the principles of freedom and individual liberty, you should be a part of PLF, no matter where you live. A national nonprofit organization, PLF has offices in Sacramento, CA; Arlington, VA; Palm Beach Gardens, FL; and Bellevue, WA. The right candidate may choose to be located in one of those offices or elsewhere—virtually or from a physical office.
- Plan, implement, and oversee a comprehensive annual giving program that includes direct mail acquisition, renewal/upgrade appeals, online giving, monthly giving, matching gifts, etc.
- Provide outstanding stewardship to PLF’s broad base of donors, regularly showing the impact of their gifts in meaningful ways that differentiate PLF from other organizations. Provide top-notch customer service to every donor to ensure the best possible donor experience.
- Provide leadership and supervision to the Annual Giving team, including the Liberty Society Manager, Development Communications Officer, and Development Researcher—ensuring a cohesive effort to identify, cultivate, solicit, acknowledge, and steward annual donors. Provide regular feedback, advice, and guidance based on individual staff needs and performance.
- Develop and execute focused direct mail and electronic appeal efforts to renew and upgrade current donors, acquire and retain new donors, secure monthly recurring gifts, and promote matching gifts. Ensure a smooth, donor-focused gift acknowledgment process.
- Work closely with the Development Researcher and Director of Donor Relations to identify potential major gift prospects to maintain a steady pipeline of prospects for major gift officers.
- Work closely with the Development Communications Officer and Senior Director of Development to craft messaging for appeals, acknowledgments, and other collateral.
- Collaborate with the Director of Development Systems to ensure effective use of lists/segmentation.
- Achieve specific performance goals established annually by the Senior Director of Development.
- Put primary, daily focus on the status of annual giving efforts and progress toward goals.
- Effectively manage and mentor the Annual Giving team to support their success and provide assistance when performance improvements are needed.
- Accurately articulate PLF’s mission, objectives, cases, and initiatives with clarity, enthusiasm, and conviction. Handle all donor interactions with the highest levels of honesty, integrity, discretion, and professionalism.
- Ensure that all schedules and deadlines for appeals and acknowledgments are met.
- Ensure that all appeals, contacts, actions, and results for donors are logged in a timely and thorough manner, and in accordance with PLF’s established protocols.
- Work collaboratively and cooperatively with other members of the Development team and with other PLF colleagues.
- 5-10 years of fundraising experience, including staff management
- Experience with annual giving, direct mail, online engagement, and/or membership preferred
- Understanding of and appreciation for the importance of protecting individuals from unconstitutional government intrusion
- Previous work at a pro-liberty organization preferred
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge a plus
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position/PLF’s mission and salary requirements. Specifically, the cover letter should explain why PLF is the place for you, why you want to fight for liberty, and what distinguishes you from typical applicants.
PDF applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions about the opening can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.