Director of Development
Think Freely Media is hiring a full-time Director of Development to spearhead donor identification, solicitation and stewardship efforts for an innovative organization dedicated to communicating the benefits of freedom and free enterprise. The ideal candidate will have experience building and growing an organization, will enjoy working alongside entrepreneurs and investors to accomplish big ideas, and will be willing to roll up his or her sleeves to bring these big ideas to life.
Are you ambitious, creative, experienced and equipped with the tenacity to actually get the job done? You will work with our leadership team to refine and tell our story to build support from both individual and institutional donors who care about sparking cultural change, fostering lasting partnerships along the way. A successful candidate will powerfully tell the stories of free enterprise and individual liberty to advance human achievement, freedom and empowerment.
It’ll be fun, but it will also take sharp focus and hard work. You’ll be expected to travel up to 60 percent of the time, while, at the same time, building and managing the fundraising operations necessary to take our organization to the next level. You should have a demonstrated track record of experience, preferably with three or more years’ experience working major gift fundraising. You should be ready to tell us what you’ve achieved and why that experience will lead you to success in our work. You should be passionate and able to persuasively communicate the benefits of liberty. After all, that’s what we do here.
The most successful team members at TFM are thoughtful, action-oriented and punch above their weight in advancing our mission. Not only that, but as an organization that is always looking around the corner for opportunity, there’s ample room for growth – personally and professionally. We like to give talented people who demonstrate success more responsibility and room to prosper. After all, we believe in the free market, right? The sky is the limit if you’re successful.
- Alongside the President and Board of Directors, develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising and donor outreach strategy for current and prospective donors.
- Participate in all aspects of the gift cycle, including:
- Initiating contact with potential major gift donors
- Developing effective cultivation strategies
- Moving potential donors to solicitation and closure
- Maintaining stewardship contact with donors
- As a member of the senior management team, help generate ideas for new programs and our overall growth strategy.
- Ensure the Development Department maintains branding, program and outreach harmony within the larger TFM mission.
- Represent Think Freely Media at dinners, conferences and networking events.
- Update and maintain a donor database.
- Committed to the values of individual liberty and free markets.
- Passionate about communicating the benefits of individual liberty and the free market.
- Experienced, having worked at least three years in fundraising, corporate development or other applicable experience.
- A talented writer with superb communications skills on the page and phone.
- Positive and creative, with strong listening skills, and the ability to meaningfully connect with other people.
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently, without constant supervision.
- Humble and always willing to pitch in to get the job done. After all, you’re motivated more by mission than rank.
Compensation: Compensation will be commensurate with experience and potential. We will offer performance-based bonuses in addition a healthy base salary.
Location: This position is based in our Chicago, IL office, but we will consider a remote work arrangement for exceptional candidates
To apply: Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file to hello[at]thinkfreelymedia[dot]org:
- Cover letter expressing your passion for this position and our mission, your professional goals, how your background aligns with our needs and your compensation bottom line