R Street Institute
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, DC, and with regional offices across the country—seeks an energetic and self-motivated Editorial Specialist with demonstrated experience editing proposals, blog posts, outreach communications op-eds and magazine articles, and/or with public policy editing. If you are the right fit, you will report to the Editorial Director. If you want to join a young and energetic organization and do something extraordinary, this may be just the opportunity you need.
Your typical day at R Street may include editing blog posts, longer-form articles for external publication, and pitching in to edit op-eds or policy pieces where necessary. You may also edit written testimony, coalition letters or business development materials. This role is nested within the Editorial department and serves the needs of the entire organization.
Other Aspects of Your Role
● Receive, review and edit all project and grant proposals and outreach communications.
● Receive, review and edit all blog post submissions.
● Edit and coordinate graphic layout of our one-pager series (“R Sheets”).
● Work with authors to make editorial changes, including changes to basic content, where needed.
● Ensure all final copy is ready for publication, appropriate for target audiences and consistent with house style guidelines and R Street's mission.
● Periodic lookout shifts to guard against ninja infiltration.
Skills and Qualifications
● A minimum of 5 years of experience as an editor, preferably working with op-eds, blog posts or other materials for a wide range of audiences.
● A near-obsessive attention to detail and a willingness to learn and consistently apply the R Street style guide.
● Must have at least basic familiarity with or interest in learning about major debates in the areas of energy, environment, education, technology, governance, financial services, insurance, criminal justice, labor policy, tax policy and general regulatory policy.
● A bachelor’s degree in English in preferred.
● Fluency in AP style is a must.
● A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization.
This is a full-time job based in Washington, DC and requires a daily presence in our office. R Street is growing rapidly but remains a close-knit team.
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a highly competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families); wellness benefit; employer-subsidized mobile phone benefit; 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match; and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity or anything else that's illegal, immoral or stupid to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. Qualified individuals will be contacted to perform both a writing and editorial assessment. We will then contact ideal individuals for telephone interviews on a rolling basis. In-person interviews will be held in our D.C. office.
To apply, please upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.