Empire Center for Public Policy
For more than ten years, the Empire Center for Public Policy (EC) has been working to make New York a better place to live and work by promoting public policy reforms grounded in free-market principles, personal responsibility, and the ideals of effective and accountable government.
The Center seeks a research director, to work with leadership to: plan, grow, organize, and manage its research agenda. This is an exciting time to join a growing team working to expand its presence and impact in the state Capitol and throughout the state.
- 7+ years of experience in policy analysis/research or a related field
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, advanced degree in related field preferred
- In-depth knowledge of multiple public policy issues
- Experience managing experienced and inexperienced researchers
- Familiarity with the New York legislature or another state legislature
- Excellent interpersonal skill and relationships
- Proven ability to produce and oversee the production of fact-based work free from hyperbole, sensationalism, and politics
- Direct, plan, organize and manage the Center’s research agenda
- Direct and supervise the work of all research staff and policy analysts and coordinate research and policy development with Center fellows
- Manage research contracts
- Author original work related to EC’s policy goals
- Represent the Center by speaking at events throughout the state
- Conduct media interviews, write opinion editorials, testify before state legislature
- Manage all annual publications, including analysis of data collected on the Center’s transparency website, SeeThroughNY
- Assist in establishing and executing legislative strategy
- Working with researchers, development and media teams to plan seminars, policy forums and other activities to advance the research
- Primary responsibility for ensuring enforcement of the Center’s Policy on Independence and Integrity of Research
- Editing and assisting in the writing of reports, articles and other materials prepared by other EC researchers and staff
- Exceptionally strong writing ability, including the ability to turn out clear, clean and concise copy on tight deadlines
- General knowledge of and interest in the public policy issues on which the Empire Center focuses
- An affinity with EC’s free-market approach to the public policy challenges facing New York State
- Familiarity with common PC and/or Mac software, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Proficiency in using the Internet, including social media
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing candidate background, interest in the position, a compelling case for why the applicant would excel in this position, and salary requirements
- Two writing samples
- At least three references
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. EC is an equal-opportunity employer. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.