Senior Director of Communications and Marketing
The Institute for Humane Studies (IHS) seeks a senior director of communications & marketing - integrated program management to support a growing community of professors and graduate students across the country in advancing a better understanding of classical liberal ideas.
Our vision is for free speech, open inquiry, and intellectual diversity to flourish on college campuses; for all college students to have an opportunity to study and debate the ideas of a free society; and for a growing community of scholars to research and teach the principles and practice of freedom.
The senior director is vital to demonstrating our value to our varied, yet specific audiences, from the academic talent who can benefit from our programming and career support to the individuals and foundations that can best support our mission. This position faces both inward and outward and plays a key strategic role in shaping, implementing, and executing communications and marketing plans that support our vision, strategy, and objectives.
Reporting to the managing director of communications & marketing, the senior director plays a lead role in broadening and elevating the profile of IHS as a well-known and highly regarded academic institute.
- Help build and manage an innovative, entrepreneurial team of client-focused, creative, nimble, and data-driven professionals.
- Ensure communications and marketing is providing strategic and tactical support for initiatives related to all teams across the organization (e.g., faculty relations, academic talent development, student education, free speech and open inquiry leadership, development, network relations, program operations, and human resources).
- Design and implement a communications and marketing plan that connects IHS to target audiences, including university scholars, partners, and other priority stakeholders.
- Collaborate regularly with communications and marketing leads for digital strategy and content development.
- Liaise with senior directors to ensure a strategic and holistic message that resonates across our various platforms, departments, and audiences.
- Manage communications and marketing campaigns to assist in lead generation, funding opportunities, and general brand awareness that elevates the IHS mission and purpose.
- Leverage the capabilities of the digital, social, and creative teams (e.g., video, editorial, design, and photography) in order to manage internal client and department expectations.
- Serve as a brand gatekeeper and ensure IHS is maximizing appropriate branding opportunities at events (e.g., seminars, conferences, and workshops) and with partners.
- Conduct audience research and data analysis to ensure we are effectively and efficiently reaching stakeholders.
- Continually seek to identify audience gaps in an effort to improve overall engagement and seize opportunities.
- Work in a matrixed environment, demonstrating trust, accountability, integrity, humility, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
The ideal candidate will:
- Demonstrate a record of success working with a variety of projects and subject matter experts to develop and lead dynamic communications and marketing campaigns.
- Display extensive experience working with paid, earned, shared, and owned media.
- Have experience leading and managing a team as well as working cross-functionally with departments and occasionally with other organizations.
- Smoothly implement new initiatives with a focus on strategy and innovation.
- Generously collaborate with the department directors, creative team leads, and development.
- Have experience in content creation and distribution and understand the importance of SEO.
- Possess excellent writing, editing, communication, and marketing skills, with the ability to quickly and persuasively tailor written materials to individual stakeholders.
- Show a dedication to data and analytics to demonstrate the effectiveness of communications and marketing programs.
- Thrive under pressure, exhibiting flexibility and diplomacy with a keen attention to deadlines and strong organizational skills.
- Be deeply familiar with communications and marketing across multiple channels and platforms.
- Be committed to seeking, collecting, and sharing best practices.
- Be proficient in proposal and budget development.
Position Requirements and Preferences
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in nonprofit, academic, or corporate communications and marketing.
- At least five years of senior-level experience in a significant leadership and management role.
- Professional work experience in communications, marketing, digital media, content strategy, branding, and project management commensurate with the role.
- Experience in higher education as well as knowledge of classical liberal ideas is a plus, but not required.
IHS provides exceptional benefits to all employees, including health and dental insurance coverage (which includes paying 100% of the health and dental insurance premium for individuals), health savings accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, a parking permit and 12 free tuition credit hours annually at George Mason University.
Founded in 1961, the Institute for Humane Studies (IHS) is a non-profit educational organization that works with college students and professors around the country to advance the principals of individual and economic freedom. IHS offers education, scholarships, mentoring, and other programs that help college students and professors contribute to a future of greater freedom, opportunity and well being for all.