Senior Media Associate
Pacific Legal Foundation—the nation’s leading public-interest legal organization devoted to advancing individual rights and economic freedom—seeks a senior media associate for its media relations department in Arlington, Virginia.
PLF has embarked on an aggressive expansion plan to magnify our nationwide impact. Key to this plan is communicating our mission and values and telling the compelling stories of our clients to help Americans understand how and why our litigation changes people’s lives. The senior media associate will be a critical part of our media relations team, collaboratively working with our director of media and other members of the communications and legal teams to build and maintain trusted, positive, and productive relationships with media outlets.
- Build and maintain friendly and productive relationships with reporters, bloggers, television bookers and producers, columnists, and editorial staff.
- Successfully pitch PLF story ideas to the media.
- Handle inbound press inquiries in coordination with the media team.
- Track and respond to important, developing stories related to PLF issues.
- Develop local and national messaging strategies (in multiple media markets) that support PLF’s work.
- Assist the communications team in organizing press conferences, press availabilities, media briefings, teleconferences, and other press or Capitol Hill events.
- Help draft press releases, advisories, talking points, blog content, position statements, and other written products, as needed.
- Contribute to a media database for key reporters, editors, producers, and other important contacts.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess:
- A keen news sense—living and breathing the news cycle, constantly dreaming up creative ways to think outside the box and capture media attention.
- Excellent communication skills—being able to write and speak clearly, concisely, and persuasively.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments at once, work quickly, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- A team-oriented, can-do attitude and willingness to pitch in however needed in service of the goal.
- An appreciation and passion for individual liberty and economic freedom.
- Prior experience in media relations and a proven track record with relevant media.
PLF identifies and litigates important legal issues to set landmark precedents that will benefit Americans nationwide. Using strategic and principled litigation, communications, and research, we battle for freedom in the nation’s courts and the court of public opinion. Our attorneys have ten victories before the U.S. Supreme Court—a record unmatched by anyone in the liberty movement—plus additional cases currently before the High Court with decisions pending. Simply put, we know how to get cases to the Supreme Court and we know how to win.
If you share our passion to vindicate the principles of freedom and individual liberty, you should be a part of PLF. A national nonprofit organization, PLF has offices in Sacramento, California; Arlington, Virginia; Palm Beach Gardens, Florida; and Bellevue, Washington. This position must be in Arlington, Virginia.
Applicants must submit a résumé and cover letter. The résumé should have the usual: your experience in the liberty movement, your professional experience, as well as your academic credentials. The cover letter should explain why PLF is the place for you, why you want to fight for liberty, and what distinguishes you from typical applicants.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF:
- Cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position.
- In your email, please include “[Job Title]–[Your Name]” in the subject line and indicate your compensation requirements.
- Materials should be emailed to Dawn Gonzales, Director of Human Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
This is a full-time, permanent position. PLF is committed to recruiting and retaining the highest quality talent available nationwide, and we offer a total compensation package that includes a competitive salary, medical and dental insurance, and employer-paid retirement savings. We take work-life balance seriously through our generous paid leave and flextime policies. We have a flexible, collaborative, positive, and collegial work environment. We take pride in investing in your future and encourage internal advancement. PLF is the place for someone principled, tenacious, and determined to succeed in positively shaping the future of our country and restoring real limits on government power. Join us.