Associate Counsel – Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty – Milwaukee, WI
Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty
About the Associate Counsel Opening:
The Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty (WILL) is looking for a passionate and entrepreneurial Associate Counsel to join our litigation team to further our K-12 and education reform efforts. The Associate Counsel will work closely with the litigation team and the Director of Education Policy in researching and litigating a wide range of K-12 education issues, primarily in Wisconsin, to empower parents, expand educational options and hold government accountable.
The applicant must demonstrate strong written and research skills and be able to work collaboratively with others. Opportunities to do media writing and appearances and engage in public speaking to grassroots, policymakers and legislators will be available.
Salary is competitive with an attractive benefits package, including health, life, dental, HSA and 401(k) plan.
About the Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty:
The Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty is a law and policy organization based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Established in 2011, WILL has become one of the preeminent state-based litigation centers, growing to eight lawyers. In addition, WILL has added a “think tank” component focused on policy evaluation and the crafting of proposals for reform. Through strategic litigation and timely policy reports, WILL seeks to advance the public interest in free markets, limited government, individual liberty and a robust civil society, including educational freedom and reform.
WILL is a hybrid office and attorneys are welcome to work from home 1-2 days each week.
- Advise parents, school leaders and allies who request information about their legal rights concerning education-related issues
- Conduct legal research on issues related to school choice, parent’s rights, federalism and regulatory and procedural challenges (including state and federal legal issues
- Must be detail-oriented and organized
- If interested, write op-eds, give interviews, and generally engage with the media
- If interested, engage in public speaking at conferences, with school leaders, and to other stakeholders
- Juris Doctor
- Membership in good standing of a state bar and eligibility for admission to the bar of the State of Wisconsin
- 0-5 years of experience (fellowships and clerkships may be considered experience), 2022 law school graduates are welcome to apply
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong commitment to individual freedom and educational freedom is necessary
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF file:
- Unofficial law school transcript
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position, Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty’s mission, and your salary requirements
- One legal writing sample reflecting solely the applicant’s own work.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.