Commercial Freedom Fellow
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country—seeks an energetic research fellow to spearhead the day-to-day operations of the Institute’s work on birth control deregulation and occupational licensing practice issues. This position will report to the director of commercial freedom and work closely alongside R Street’s federal affairs manager.
Ideal candidates are entrepreneurial self-starters capable of producing high-quality research and writing, organizing events and interfacing with relevant industry participants and observers.
- Expand R Street’s contraceptive deregulation research and education efforts
- Produce white papers on topics such as pharmacy-access laws for birth control, deregulation of contraceptive access and expanding the scope of practice for healthcare professionals to prescribe birth control and other medicines
- Produce shorter commentaries such as blog posts, op-eds and policy shorts about salient birth control access and healthcare issues as they arise
- Engage with legislators, regulators, and industry observers on contraceptive disintermediation and scope of practice laws
- Travel and interface with state legislations, regulators, and policy analysts regarding the regulatory structure of contraceptives
- Bachelor’s required, Master’s preferred
- Experience in a health field/health policy a bonus
- High-quality writing and research skills
- Entrepreneurial streak and ability to act as a self-starter
- Relevant experience and/or germane skills earned in government, think tank, policy, industry or media positions
- Desire to develop into a regulatory wonk, whose name and work is known on Capitol Hill
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a highly competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families); wellness benefit; employer-subsidized mobile phone benefit; up to a four percent 401(k) match; and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity or anything else that's illegal, immoral or stupid to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. Promising candidates will be contacted for telephone interviews, which will be conducted on a rolling basis. In-person interviews will be held in our D.C. office.