This position will be based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
The Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression (FIRE) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to defending and sustaining the individual rights of all Americans to free speech and free thought — the most essential qualities of liberty. FIRE educates Americans about the importance of these inalienable rights, promotes a culture of respect for these rights, and provides the means to preserve them.
FIRE is seeking an energetic, motivated, and highly organized individual to join our fundraising team. The Development Associate will report directly to the Development Officer and is an integral member of the team who helps to manage our department’s daily operations and, ultimately, grow and cultivate our member base.
The Development Associate position offers a great opportunity for someone new to nonprofit fundraising or early in their nonprofit fundraising career. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Running the gift entry process, including entering data for incoming donations, drafting thank you notes and tax receipt letters to donors, and running donor reports.
- Maintaining accurate donor records, and tracking donation history, activity, and correspondence in Salesforce.
- Managing online donations, including workplace giving, tribute giving, and FIRE’s ‘Gift in lieu of” program.
- Assisting with donor research.
- Answering phone calls and corresponding with donors on a daily basis;
- Performing administrative duties, including filing donation records, mailing letters, managing the department calendar, and paying vendors.
- Working with the finance department to ensure accurate reporting and documentation of gifts received.
- Assisting and collaborating with all members of the Development department to help us reach our goals.
This position has an immediate start date.
A successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- An understanding of FIRE’s mission and the ability to articulate it to others.
- A passion for philanthropy.
- A willingness to learn.
- The ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.
- The ability to work on a team.
- Strong organizational skills.
Experience working in an office environment is preferred. Salesforce or other CRM experience is highly preferred but not required.
It is preferred that candidates possess an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university, however a combination of education and relevant experience will be considered. Ideally, we would like candidates to commit a minimum of two years to this role.
Salary and Compensation
Starting salary is negotiable and depends upon experience and education level. FIRE conducts periodic evaluations where employees may receive raises or bonuses for outstanding and excellent work. FIRE also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes employer-paid comprehensive health, dental, and life insurance; a Section 125 Flexible Spending Account option; matching retirement contributions; and a generous paid time-off plan.
Applicants should provide a resume, cover letter, a short writing sample, salary requirements, and contact information for at least two professional references. All applications are confidential.
FIRE is an equal opportunity employer.