Development & Communications Associate
Development & Communications Associate
Salt Lake City, Utah
Prosperity Utah is the newest addition to the free market think tank family. Officially organized in early 2020, Prosperity Utah convenes demonstrated business leaders and policymakers to champion solutions that foster economic and political freedom, while engaging residents to support the free market and limited government principles that create prosperity.
Prosperity Utah aims to be the free market voice proposing real solutions to Utah’s toughest challenges. We are a network advancing limited government solutions to issues such as homelessness, criminal justice reform, education, the environment, and more — solutions that will change hearts and minds while actually making society better through the same principles that built this country: free enterprise, limited government, and individual liberty.
About the Opening
We are expanding our team by hiring a Development & Communications Associate to scale our capabilities. This role will report to Chris Harelson, Prosperity Utah’s Executive Director and be based in our Salt Lake City office.
The Development & Communications Associate will manage our donor pipeline while overseeing events and social media. This role will be the primary point of contact for Prosperity Utah donors and members who are some of the top movers and shakers in the state. As such, they should enjoy meeting new people and building meaningful relationships with our network.
Rather than employing "red meat" messaging that strictly energizes our base, Prosperity Utah believes in messaging that is attractive to those who do not yet share our policy ideas. Prosperity Utah utilizes a blend of traditional messaging and rhetoric that appeals to wider audiences while remaining focused on changing the law in a more pro-liberty direction. Candidates for this position should believe that the liberty movement needs to be inclusive, collaborative, and reach new audiences if we are to succeed.
It is important that this role is filled by someone who can grow with the organization to take on higher roles in the future. They must catch the vision at a high level and be able to execute at a granular level. Grit, flexibility, focus on metrics, a collaborative style, vision, and belief in eventual triumph of liberty are prerequisites to work at Prosperity Utah.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing our donor pipeline. This includes prospecting new potential donors, setting meetings for fundraisers, persistently pursuing both prospective and current donors, monthly organizational update calls with Prosperity Utah members, and managing our direct mail program
- Managing our social media by scheduling daily posts across all social media platforms, monitoring engagement and messages to ensure quick response, and creating content depending on your experience and ability
- Organizing events at least once a month for our members when normal activity resumes post COVID-19. As we grow, events will increase in frequency
- Travel throughout the state will be needed to host events.
- Depending on skill set, you may be able to take donor meetings both within and out of the state, but this is not required for the role
To succeed in this role you will need:
- 0 - 4 years experience in development, communications, and/or event planning
- Political savvy and an ability to navigate diverse interests and nuanced ideologies. Prosperity Utah is a big tent organization. Those in our donor network have differing beliefs yet are united by the principles of free markets and limited government. You will need to be wise and judicious in your communications and decisions
- Strong research skills to find donor contact information and relevant philanthropic, familial, and professional details
- Persistence to cold call and consistently, yet politely, follow up until a meeting is secured and a gift is closed
- Execution, execution, execution. At Prosperity Utah we put numbers on the board through our heads-down, hyper-focused culture
- An entrepreneurial mindset, a positive attitude, and a firm belief in individual liberty
In this role you’ll receive:
- A competitive salary based on experience
- Real fundraising responsibility that will allow you to learn development skills much more rapidly than your peers
- The opportunity to shape and be a part of a rising start up think tank
- Connections and relationships with some of the most successful influencers in the state
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing:
- Your interest in the position and organization
- Salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Network Engagement Strategist at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.