The Institute for Humane Studies (IHS) seeks a Digital Specialist to support communications and marketing strategies through the creative development and delivery of content for IHS social and digital channels. The Digital Media Specialist is responsible for research, writing, producing, scheduling, and monitoring content across various digital and social platforms. The specialist plays an important role in elevating the IHS brand, classical liberal ideas, and university scholars from around the country.
This role is a hands-on, collaborative position providing support for the Communications and Marketing team. Responsibilities include:
- Implementing a social media strategy
- Gathering, creating, and publishing content across channels while collaborating with internal partners
- Conceptualizing, creating, and executing multimedia content (e.g., text, images, graphics, audio, and video)
- Writing promotional copy for social advertising campaigns
- Executing, monitoring and tracking social media ad campaigns across multiple channels
- Monitoring and engaging with audiences to support and promote IHS values, brand, and classical liberal ideas
- Managing paid media and other campaigns
- Aggregating, reporting, and analyzing social media metrics
- Contributing to other projects and content creation as needed
- Keeping current on social media trends and best practices
In this role, the successful candidate will support the workflow and internal client expectations around social and content deliverables. You’ll translate our overarching messages for various audiences, platforms and tailored objectives, and speak analytics and data; you’ll need to be ready to take risks, determine what works, and use the data to inform your teams and improve future decision-making.
Applicants must be detail-oriented, organized, personable, and entrepreneurial. The successful candidates will be a self-starter who is not afraid to ask questions. You should know how to effectively work in a team environment. Mostly, you should be excited by the vision of the Institute for Humane Studies and want to be an integral member of the Communications and Marketing team.
Qualified Candidates will possess the following:
- 2-4-years experience
- Professional work experience in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, or content strategy commensurate with the responsibilities
- Strong familiarity of various social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn) and their metrics and best practices
- Working knowledge of image editing software and basic digital video editing, Adobe Suite
- Extreme attention to detail and deadlines
- Top organizational skills
- An analytical, innovative, and entrepreneurial mindset
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Self-motivation and willingness to ask questions
- Experience in higher education and a familiarity of classical liberal ideas a plus
Each year IHS awards over $1 million in scholarships to students from universities around the world. IHS also sponsors the attendance of hundreds of students at its summer seminars and provides various forms of career assistance, including mentoring, a job board, and online career development seminars. Through its programs, the Institute promotes the study of liberty across a broad range of disciplines, encouraging understanding, open inquiry, rigorous scholarship, and creative problem-solving.
We have a flexible, professional, open office environment that encourages innovation and entrepreneurship and provides substantial opportunity for professional growth. Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. IHS provides exceptional benefits to all employees, including health and dental insurance coverage (which includes paying 100% of the health and dental insurance premium for individuals), health savings accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, a parking permit and 12 free tuition credit hours annually at George Mason University.
The Institute for Humane Studies is a recognized leader in the development of talented students, scholars, and other intellectuals who share an interest in liberty and in advancing the principles and practice of classical liberalism. IHS, founded in 1961, is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) educational organization, based at George Mason University, that works with students and scholars across a broad range of academic and professional disciplines.