Director of Annual Fund
This position will be based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and/or Washington, D.C. FIRE operates on a hybrid work schedule that allows for a mix of in-the-office and remote work for eligible employees. Remote work will be considered for exceptional candidates.
The Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression’s mission is to defend and sustain the individual rights of all Americans to free speech and free thought — the most essential qualities of liberty. FIRE educates Americans about the importance of these inalienable rights, promotes a culture of respect for these rights, and provides the means to preserve them.
FIRE is seeking a creative and driven individual with a passion for free speech to help lead our fundraising efforts. The Director of Annual Fund will report to the Director of Development and will focus on building a year-round fundraising plan for the stewardship of FIRE’s quickly growing base of members — donors who give below $2,500 annually. The fundraising plan will include campaigns, customized stewardship strategies for individuals, materials that effectively communicate FIRE’s message, and moves management to help drive development goals.
The Director of Annual Fund will take responsibility for using traditional fundraising and digital marketing methods to communicate FIRE’s message and mission to our membership base.
Duties will include:
- Developing and executing customized stewardship strategies for individuals giving less than $2,500 annually.
- Directly supervising a team of development staff including a Direct Mail Manager and Development Officer. Providing management, mentorship, guidance, and professional development to direct reports.
- Producing and editing appropriate and persuasive fundraising materials including appeal letters, emails, reports, newsletter features, brochures, and acknowledgment letters.
- Proactively leveraging news-making moments, relevant thought-leadership, stories, and insights to drive donor engagement with FIRE’s work.
- Implementing donor engagement tools such as automated journeys and surveys.
- In collaboration with the Direct Mail Manager, driving FIRE’s comprehensive direct mail program, online fundraising, and digital marketing efforts.
- Leading development’s digital marketing efforts to convert email subscribers and social media followers to donors.
- Identifying supporters with higher giving potential and working with the team to move them up the donor pipeline.
- Marketing the many ways to give to FIRE: through FIRE’s membership program, monthly giving program, alumni activism program, legacy giving, and more.
- Helping operationalize and implement leadership’s vision for development activities/initiatives as needed.
- Working with members of the Communications and Marketing team to draft content for emails, social media, and other marketing copy as needed.
- Working with the Event Coordinator to promote in-person and online events as needed.
The expected start date for this position is as soon as possible.
A successful candidate will have a good work ethic, be a self-starter, and have the ability to work independently. Most importantly, the candidate must demonstrate a knowledge and passion for FIRE’s mission and an ability to articulate that passion through writing in a way that will make others enthusiastic about our cause.
A candidate must also be able to demonstrate:
- A four-year undergraduate degree.
- Five or more years of experience in fundraising or communications.
- Management experience.
- Exceptional writing and copy editing skills.
- An understanding of FIRE’s mission and an ability to articulate it in our fundraising materials and marketing efforts.
- Proven ability and experience in donor information systems, moves management, and donor research.
- Exceptional organizational, planning, and time management skills.
- A demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Superior memory and attention to detail.
- Experience with relevant software: Pardot, Salesforce, iWave, and G-Suite.
Salary and Compensation
Starting salary is negotiable and depends upon experience and education level. FIRE conducts periodic evaluations where employees may receive raises or bonuses for outstanding and excellent work. FIRE also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes employer-paid comprehensive health, dental, and life insurance; a Section 125 Flexible Spending Account option; matching retirement contributions; and a generous paid time-off plan.
Applicants should provide a resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and contact information for at least two professional references. All applications are confidential.
FIRE is an equal opportunity employer.