Director of Cyber Security and Emerging Threats
Director, Cybersecurity & Emerging Threats
R Street Institute
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks a skilled, energetic and experienced director to lead and manage our Cybersecurity and Emerging Threats program. The ideal candidate lives and breathes cybersecurity, knows the field from many angles and has a passion for applying practical knowledge to pressing policy challenges.
Cybersecurity is one of R Street’s premier policy areas. Our staff regularly appear on major television networks, testify before Congress and write for the nation’s largest newspapers. We are looking for an experienced individual to join and advance an already strong and healthy program.
Your typical day at R Street might include meeting with a donor to discuss a new opportunity, creating a new proposal, working with your team to manage deliverables, finalizing talking points for a speaking engagement, reviewing policy products, discussing policy strategy and brand alignment with your team, consulting with a congressional staffer about the cybersecurity elements of a proposed bill, or giving a colleague comments on an op-ed.
Key Aspects of the Director Role
Policy Research & Advocacy
● Develop and oversee policy strategy that is high quality, highly credible and timely.
● Contribute to the policy agenda through writing a mix of op-eds, regulatory comments, amicus briefs, testimony, policy papers and the like.
● Work with R Street’s government affairs and communications teams to identify and consistently engage with target audiences, advance R Street’s message and establish external credibility on policy areas within the program.
● Help build coalitions and partnerships that support and further R Street’s policy positions in this program area.
● Attend and speak at events and convenings that support the policy and mission/values of R Street and the issue areas within this program.
Leadership & Management
- Develop, mentor and supervise the work of program staff and contractors working on topics within the program area.
- Conduct performance reviews, identify and support trainings, and provide leadership to the team.
● Work with business development to achieve fundraising efforts for financial sustainability.
● Establish and maintain strong donor relationships.
● Create proposals for new ventures.
● Assure ongoing fiscal solvency of the program.
Skills and Qualifications
- Significant experience in cybersecurity, with connections to law enforcement, national security and intelligence communities
- Experience leading, managing and developing a team
- Experience managing policy projects and working cross-collaboratively within an organization
- Proven public speaking skills
- Experience engaging the media
- Excellent writing ability, ideally as demonstrated by a meaningful mix of scholarly and non-academic publications
- A proven network of contacts relevant to the position and a reputation in the field
- Alignment with our mission of advancing free markets and limited, effective government
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization!
We offer a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or be fully remote.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
R Street is committed to a workplace that values diversity, equity and inclusion. We believe having a more diverse workforce will strengthen R Street’s ability to innovate, achieve our mission and support long-term systemic change. As people dedicated to limited, effective government and free markets we understand that a free society achieves its greatest triumphs by allowing and facilitating a wide variety of approaches to public policy problems. The concept of “broad coalitions,” one of our core operating principles, stems from that insight. People of all races, religions, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, life experiences and socioeconomic backgrounds perform at the highest levels in every type of work that we do and have shaped the principles to which we subscribe. We believe that searching for talent everywhere is an integral part of living up to our principles.