Director of Development Strategy – Jack Miller Center – Bala Cynwyd, PA
Director of Development Strategy
Jack Miller Center
Bala Cynwyd, PA
Are you passionate about the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and the American Founding? Are you interested in ensuring that the next generation of high school and college students understands America’s founding principles and history? Are you looking to further your career in fundraising? If so, this opportunity may be for you!
About the Jack Miller Center
The Jack Miller Center (JMC) is a non-partisan, non-profit 501(c)3 public foundation dedicated to advancing the teaching of America’s founding principles and history at all levels of our educational system, focusing on the primary documents of the American political tradition.
At the college level, the JMC conducts summer institutes for young scholars and other national and regional programs for professors. We also sponsor courses, events, fellowships, and student activities on campuses. At the K-12 level, the JMC works with partner professors and institutions to provide graduate and professional development programs for K-12 teachers. The JMC also offers an array of resources for educators at all levels that will help them bring American history and founding principles back to the education of young Americans.
We have been in existence for 18 years and have over 1,000 professors on over 300 campuses in our growing network of scholars. We also have an expanding K-12 teacher program, currently in 6 states. We have an ambitious strategic plan that includes tripling our budget by 2026 and we are in the process of doubling our staff to meet that challenge.
About the Role
The Director of Development Strategy will play a key role in building out our donor engagement strategy and overseeing a variety of efforts to achieve our fundraising goals. The Director, in coordination with our President and Chief Philanthropy Officer, will be responsible for managing and coordinating 3-4 development team members, including a Manager of Donor Relations, a Foundation Relations Officer, and a Development Operations Associate. The Director will also coordinate with a separate communications team of 4 to ensure the alignment of development and communications activities with our broader strategic goals.
This position is based in Bala Cynwyd, PA and fully remote work is not an option.
- Manage and mentor our development team on a daily basis
- Build and maintain a plan for engaging new prospective donors
- Oversee our donor stewardship plan
- Collaborate with the President, Chief Philanthropy Officer, and other team leaders on our most important donors
- Manage and refine our fundraising strategy
- Guide the proposal process to ensure strong representation of our programs and objectives
- Work closely with the Chief Philanthropy Officer and development team to coordinate our fundraising, research, and outreach efforts
- Write and direct the production of strategic, personalized letters and updates to individual donors and prospects
- Act as primary liaison with our board’s fundraising committee
- Coordinate with our communications team on development-focused communications, building out our mailing list, and identifying new prospects through our email analytics
- Direct the production of fundraising materials
- Oversee development events
- Travel for events on occasion
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Working knowledge of donor prospecting and cultivation methods
- Interest and experience in engaging donors and prospects through phone calls, emails, and letters
- Ability to write clear, concise, and engaging content
- Ability to articulate and personalize JMC’s mission and efforts
- Self-starter, ability to work independently
- Strong contributor to team environments
- Highly organized and methodical
- Deep passion for the Jack Miller Center mission
- Significant experience in development and personnel management
- A minimum of five years working in a similar non-profit position, or transferrable skills
- A four-year degree or commensurate experience
- The willingness to travel as needed
- A goal-oriented mindset and experience working in deadline-driven environments
- Ability to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines
In addition to a great team of colleagues, the Jack Miller Center offers an excellent benefits package which includes a 401(k) plan with matching contributions, generous paid time off and paid holidays, monthly smart phone reimbursement and group medical, vision, dental, and life insurance.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your qualifications, your interest in this position and the JMS mission, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement, at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.