Director of Editorial Services
The Cato Institute seeks a writer and editor to edit, polish, and place opinion pieces in major news media outlets. The director of editorial services will also work with policy scholars to brainstorm ideas for opinion pieces that are topical, timely, and likely to be sought by targeted media outlets. Qualified applicants must have at least 7 years of experience writing or editing in a think tank, journalism, or equivalent setting. The ideal candidate will be capable of editing multiple independent pieces for the specifications of domestic and international publications simultaneously, often on short deadlines. The candidate must be able to interact with a diverse group of policy scholars and help them to develop opinion pieces that both reflect their work and meet the needs of target news outlets. Reporting or daily journalism experience is preferred. Familiarity with libertarian perspectives and arguments is a plus.
The Cato Institute is a public policy research organization—a think tank—dedicated to the principles of individual liberty, limited government, free markets, and peace. Its scholars and analysts conduct independent, nonpartisan research on a wide range of policy issues. Founded in 1977, Cato owes its name to Cato’s Letters, a series of essays published in 18th-century England that presented a vision of a society free from excessive government power. Those essays inspired the architects of the American Revolution. And the simple, timeless principles of that revolution — individual liberty, limited government, and free markets – turn out to be even more powerful in today’s world of global markets and unprecedented access to information than Jefferson or Madison could have imagined. Social and economic freedom is not just the best policy for a free people, it is the indispensable framework for the future.
The Cato Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Builds and maintains relationships with editors at top news media outlets
- Develops and maintains distribution lists for national, regional, and other targeted opinion pieces
- Tracks opinion pieces through submission, editing, and pitching
- Works closely with policy experts to develop ideas for opinion pieces that are relevant, timely, and likely to achieve placement in target media outlets
- Provides advice and training to scholars on how to write effective opinion pieces
- 7-10+ years of experience writing and editing in journalism or similar setting
- Must demonstrate capability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment overseeing multiple projects
Click here to apply through our online application process.