Director of Federal Government Affairs
Director, Federal Government Affairs
R Street Institute
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country—seeks an energetic Director of Federal Government Affairs to coordinate strategy and manage the federal government affairs team. If you are the right fit, you will report to the Vice President of Public Affairs. If you want to join a hardworking organization and do something outstanding, this may be just the opportunity you need!
Your typical day at R Street may include meeting with congressional staff to engage policymakers and coalition partners, and to further our policy agenda on Capitol Hill. This role will serve an important function supporting our scholars and policy areas by marketing our existing work; seeking out new audiences and alliances; participating and organizing coalition activities; drafting op-eds and blog posts; coordinating Hill events; and maintaining an R Street presence at important functions.
Other Aspects of Your Role
- Leading the federal affairs team and working closely alongside the state affairs team as the outward face of the organization, promoting strong and positive brand awareness for the organization among policymakers and other key legislative constituencies
- Designing and implementing strategies to promote R Street's ideas and policy agendas on Capitol Hill and throughout the federal government, including developing and maintaining key relationships with members of Congress, legislative staff members, committees and federal government personnel
- Identifying avenues for engagement with federal lawmakers for all of our issue areas; looking for new and different points of entry to ensure greater collaboration
- Developing and tracking metrics to ensure alignment of goals with a particular focus on getting R Street staff members to meet with key Hill constituents and to testify before committees on the federal level
- Creating and nurturing coalitions with allied groups, including both national and state-based think tanks, on key issues
- Managing correspondence with partners, such as The Intersection, R Street's weekly newsletter for federal external stakeholders
- Representing our brand and maintaining a presence for R Street at events and meetings around D.C.
- Contributing op-eds, blog pieces, and other media appearances as necessary and requested
- Building internal relationships with policy teams to ensure their goals are met
- Periodic lookout shifts to guard against ninja infiltration
Skills and Qualifications
- Passion for free markets and limited, effective government
- Displaying strong service orientation and adherence with organizational norms
- Strong, proven research and writing skills as well as a willingness to understand all sides of an issue
- Comfortable with speaking with the media
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with subject matter experts for insights and opinions
- Superior interpersonal skills and a strong team orientation
- Ability to serve effectively in a cross-functional role, working across policy, communications and editorial departments
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to handle competing interests and priorities
- No particular educational background is required: A proven track record of achieving results is far more meaningful than credentials
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a multifaceted organization!
We offer a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or be fully remote.
There is a chance through the year that your presence would be requested in the D.C. office for meetings or events.
Compensation Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
R Street is committed to a workplace that values diversity, equity and inclusion. We believe having a more diverse workforce will strengthen R Street’s ability to innovate, achieve our mission and support long-term systemic change. As people dedicated to limited, effective government and free markets, we understand that a free society achieves its greatest triumphs by allowing and facilitating a wide variety of approaches to public policy problems. The concept of “broad coalitions,” one of our core operating principles, stems from that insight. People of all races, religions, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, life experiences and socioeconomic backgrounds perform at the highest levels in every type of work that we do and have shaped the principles to which we subscribe. We believe that searching for talent everywhere is an integral part of living up to our principles.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Interviews will be held virtually, via Zoom.