Director of Foundation Relations
EOE Statement: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Mercatus Center at George Mason University seeks to fill the position of Director of Foundation Relations. This role is responsible for leading a team of writers tasked with growing support from our foundation partners. Candidates should have strong management skills and experience producing persuasive letters, proposals, and reports for current and prospective foundation supporters.
The Director of Foundation Relations is an important part of a highly motivated team of development professionals committed to increasing revenue by matching the Mercatus Center’s objectives with donors’ priorities and growing the pool of supporters.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced fundraiser or grant writer to make a difference in the lives of students supported by Mercatus and to help extend the reach of its scholars’ world-class economic research and policy solutions. This position reports to the Senior Director of Development and works with principals at the Mercatus Center to increase revenue.
- Manage a team of two experienced writers--equipping to prospect, coaching through donor strategies, and honing written products alongside team members
- Develop strong relationships with foundations that support the Mercatus Center
- Engage foundations that currently do not invest in Mercatus to assess common goals and interests in order to grow the Mercatus Center’s donor base
- Write and edit proposals and other products that excite, inform, and persuade high-dollar investors
- Ensure quality control for all materials produced by the foundation relations team
- Coordinate with the Major Gifts and Direct Mail teams to further donor relationships
- Travel occasionally to events and/or donor meetings
- 3 years or more of successfully managing a team
- Strong writing and editing skills, and ability to prioritize multiple projects
- Experience cultivating and securing six- and seven-figure grants
- Alignment with the Mercatus Center’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree
- Preferred candidates will be familiar with Salesforce
Help Us Grow
Please submit your cover letter, resume and two writing samples of 3-5 pages in a single PDF through our online application process. Your cover letter must indicate your interest in the Mercatus Center's mission.
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Mercatus provides excellent benefits to all individual employees, including full health and dental coverage, flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, a parking permit, and free credits at George Mason University.
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University
For nearly 40 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems.