Director of Individual Giving
About the Institute for Justice:
The Institute for Justice is a public interest law firm that is on the front lines every day fighting to end widespread abuses of government power and secure the rights that allow all Americans to pursue their dreams. The financial support of nearly 10,000 individual donors makes our work possible. IJ’s development team ensures that these supporters see the real-world impact of their contributions and finds new and additional sources of support for our work. IJ and its development program are growing, and we are seeking to add a new director-level position to our team.
About the Director of Individual Giving Opening:
The Director of Individual Giving at the Institute for Justice will oversee IJ’s low-dollar, midpoint, monthly, and planned giving programs as they work together to help raise the organization’s $33 million annual budget. Based out of IJ’s Arlington, Virginia, office, the Director of Individual Giving will ensure the smooth operation and growth of these programs by managing the staff administering each program and providing direction and support as they institute new strategies and refine and execute existing best practices.
The ideal candidate will have 7-10 years of experience managing a variety of individual giving programs and a demonstrated track record of effective personnel management. This position offers tremendous potential for growth for an organized, self-motivated professional as we continually expand and improve IJ’s existing, successful individual giving programs.
- Oversee IJ’s low-dollar, midpoint, monthly, and planned giving programs and activities and supervise the managers of each program area, including conducting regular check-in meetings, helping set strategy, and providing general guidance for the younger professionals on the team
- Identify ways to increase donor participation in and revenue from these programs and work with managers to implement
- Develop goals, budgets, and revenue targets for each program in coordination with program managers; monitor and analyze trends; report on meaningful metrics and milestones
- Review and provide guidance on all work product, ensuring all materials meet IJ standards
- Define and monitor standards for data entry, data cleanup, gift processing, and integrity of donor database
- Oversee timely preparation of acknowledgments for individual donors
- Develop plans for donations processing and acknowledgement and for covering other key tasks related to individual giving programs during peak charitable giving seasons, including the end of the year
- Work alongside Director of Donor Communications to finalize appeal and acquisition packages and other mailed communications to ensure maximum effectiveness and coordination across programs
- At least 3-5 years of personnel management experience
- 7-10 years experience managing individual giving, including direct mail, giving clubs, and/or planned giving programs
- Command of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams)
- Proficiency with Salesforce, or experience with another CRM database and willingness to become adept at Salesforce
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with staff, donors, and others
- Ability to adapt to new processes, assess them for effectiveness, and identify areas for improvement
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, concise, and personalized correspondence to a variety of audiences
- Commitment to promoting individual liberty and challenging government abuse
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF file:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position, Institute for Justice’s mission, and your salary requirements
- Writing sample
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.
IJ is an equal opportunity employer.