Donor Relations Officer (Remote)
Ballotpedia is seeking a full-time, 100% remote Donor Relations Officer to execute its fundraising and development strategy to grow our annual and major gift program.
Reporting to the Vice President of External Relations and collaborating with the External Relations team, you will be responsible for managing a growth portfolio of individual donor prospects, major donor prospects and corporate sponsorship prospects, as well as driving the growth of Ballotpedia’s Donor Club program.
This is an ideal opportunity for a nonprofit professional with prior development experience who’s inspired by Ballotpedia’s mission. As the Donor Relations Officer, you will play a critical role in increasing donor support and serve as an ambassador for Ballotpedia, utilizing your hands-on experience to grow our donor pipeline.
The role’s primary focus will be securing funds for Ballotpedia by qualifying donors and providing them with giving opportunities. Your involvement will span donor research, cultivation and communications.
The Donor Relations Officer will build strong relationships on behalf of Ballotpedia and engage with prospects through regular in-person meetings and by phone, employing an effective moves management strategy.
The ideal candidate will be based near a major U.S. airport, and will have past success securing gifts in the five-figure range. Expected travel is up to 20%.
As Donor Relations Officer you will:
- Execute and optimize the development plan, securing financial support from individuals and foundations to meet annual fundraising goals
- Build strong relationships with donors and prospects to increase their engagement with Ballotpedia
- Secure and manage a roster of 100-125 donors
- Conduct donor prospect research
- Create regular reports on progress toward fundraising goals
- Draft regular and polished communications to support fundraising initiatives, such as fundraising letters, annual reports, proposals, newsletters and brochures
- Drive growth for the organization’s Donor Clubs and associated events in collaboration with other team members
The ideal Donor Relations Officer will have:
- A demonstrated passion for Ballotpedia’s mission
- 4-6 years of fundraising experience, including 2 years of working in nonprofit development or a field with similar skills and 1 year of experience successfully securing five-figure gifts and qualifying donors
- A bachelor’s degree
- Outstanding written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, meet deadlines, multitask, and follow through
- A strong work ethic and positive attitude
- Responsible judgment, honesty, and dependability
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the Google Workplace products, Slack, and Asana
- Familiarity with current philanthropy software and database programs (Salesforce experience is highly desired)
The Donor Relations Officer will work remotely from their home location. All Ballotpedia staff work remotely. To join Ballotpedia, you must have a computer with internet access. Ballotpedia uses Google Workplace (e.g., Gmail, Google Calendar, Drive), Slack, and Asana to accomplish our goals. Some familiarity with the Google Workplace, Slack, Asana, and SalesForce are helpful.
Ballotpedia has a flexible work environment, BP Flex, in which every employee enjoys unlimited vacation and flexibility in scheduling. Each employee will be oriented to the principles of Ballotpedia’s flexible environment during new employee training.
The expected starting salary will be $55,000 to $70,000, commensurate with experience, with additional fundraising performance incentives.
In addition to salary, Ballotpedia offers a $7,000 annual benefits stipend, which can be used to pay for a full benefits package, including health, vision, and dental insurance; retirement accounts; and more. If benefits are not elected, the $7,000 stipend is treated as regular income and added to salary.
To apply, visit our Job Opportunities page and fill out the form.
Please attach the following in PDF format:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in Ballotpedia’s mission and your interest in and qualifications for position
Please ensure that either your résumé or cover letter include your current address. Applications without addresses will not be accepted.