You: Written communication is your fortè. You not only know how to make a point in a clear and compelling way, but also which commas don’t belong and all the nerdy details of AP style. You have a voice and enjoy helping others find and hone theirs. You believe we need more resources out there to help our generation become their best selves and embrace a freedom-oriented lifestyle. And you love rocking a side gig.
Us: America’s Future (AF) empowers young people to be active, civil, and curious citizens who build freer communities that lead to fulfillment, dignity, and happiness for all, and we’re looking for a talented editor to manage our blog and online presence. The ideal candidate will curate and manage a diverse stable of talented young writers to cover relevant, timely, and principled content that provides readers with useful tools to live a life that embraces freedom in all aspects. This editor will be responsible for developing the AF blog as a product with a clear voice and message, a robust digital presence, and a growing audience base. We view our blog as a platform for young writers to hone their skills and find a voice as well as a space for our audience to gain thoughtful nuanced insights into current events and their implications for the future of freedom.
The role: This is a remote, contract position. The blog editor will report primarily to the director of marketing but will work closely with the full AF team to produce content that meets various marketing needs. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter that includes three blog post ideas, three writing samples, and a resume to [email protected].
- Manage the editorial calendar for americasfuture.org, curating a regular flow of 7+ blog posts per week
- Cultivate a growing stable of regular and guest authors and editors (from within Millennial and Gen Z ) with writing talent, a unique perspective, and important things to say about current events
- Ensure timely and relevant coverage of national events, pop culture, and the ideas of freedom
- Editing all blog posts for content and grammar, fact-checking when necessary, and ensuring content matches AF’s values and tone
- Selecting imagery to accompany published posts
- Increase the AF blog’s viewership by 15% month on month
- Longterm, AF hopes to establish its blog as a revenue generation product
- A vision for the space AF can fill in the crowded online publishing world
- An existing network of writers and editors
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Strong copy editing skills and knowledge of AP Style
- Knowledge of SEO
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Capable of working independently in a remote environment
- Timely, responsive, detail-oriented, and organized