Editor & Publisher – Center of the American Experiment – Golden Valley, MN
Editor & Publisher
Center of the American Experiment
Golden Valley, MN
Center of the American Experiment, a conservative Minneapolis-based think tank, is hiring an Editor & Publisher to manage, Thinking Minnesota, their quarterly 60-page magazine. (CAE’s long-time Editor & Publisher is retiring at the end of the year.). First published in 2015, the magazine’s circulation has grown from 8,000 to roughly 95,000 readers through a combination of lively, relevant writing and world-class graphic design. The Editor & Publisher will work alongside a graphic designer, who will share responsibility for the design features of the magazine.
Oversee all editing and writing aspects of producing a 60-page, slick-format quarterly magazine, from concept to mail house.
- The Editor & Publisher will be a self-starter in what will technically be a one-person department, albeit working alongside a graphic designer, managing a publishing process that includes assigning stories, designing and monitoring a folio, and coordinating advertising insertions, circulation numbers, and a printer
- Manage contributors that include policy fellows, a consulting designer, and a proofreader.
- Coordinate all aspects of a quarterly public opinion poll, conducted by a prominent national pollster
- Help policy experts shape reader-friendly long-form magazine articles as well as short contributions
- Provide substantive editing and feedback on all pieces
- Write short articles
- Keep up with local policy trends and events to integrate into the editorial output of the magazine
- Publish all pieces on time with engaging headlines, subheads, cutlines and pull quotes.
- Maintain marketing strategies
- Ideally, several years experience in helping policy experts produce reader-friendly long-form magazine articles and pithy (500-word) short pieces or related experience and a naturally strong managerial personality
- Strong project management skills, an ability to meet deadlines, and an ability to ensure that other team members are adhering to deadlines and word counts
- Strong editing and writing skills
- The ability to work with a variety of different personalities and coordinate multiple team members to meet the final goal
- Understanding all aspects of producing a magazine from folio to pre-production
- Familiarity with the state-level intersection of public policy and politics
- Outstanding proof-reading skills
- Experience in the processes of public opinion polling
- Knowledge of Mac-based InDesign program.
- Proven ability to write compelling heds, deks and cutlines
- Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style and the AP Stylebook
- An ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Passionate about Center of the American Experiment’s mission and free-market principles
How To Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing the reasons why you are a strong candidate for this position, your interest in Center of the American Experiment’s mission, and salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.