External Relations Manager (Remote)
Ballotpedia seeks a 100% remote, experienced External Relations Manager to join its External Relations team.
Reporting to the Vice President of External Relations, and working collaboratively with Ballotpedia’s External Relations team and others across the organization, you will help administer, retain and grow Ballotpedia’s relationship with its portfolio of individual and foundation donors.
As an External Relations Manager, you will develop and own Ballotpedia’s donor cultivation and stewardship plans. You will play a critical role in managing the workflows of all donor communications and stewardship projects, from initiation to close, liaising with numerous internal stakeholders.
The ideal candidate for this role is a detail-oriented nonprofit professional who relishes in behind-the-scenes project management details and is a champion for Ballotpedia with our donors.
As an External Relations Manager you will:
- Use a variety of best in class tools and tactics to develop and implement a cultivation plan for every Ballotpedia donor at every level of donation. You’ll “own” the donor plan for each active donor - starting the day we receive their donation.
- Ensure major donors are at the front-of-mind for Ballotpedia’s CEO and Vice President of External Relations.
- Conduct research on new donors and update/maintain information about existing donors.
- Secure meetings with current donors for the CEO, VP of External Relations, or other designated staff and prepare these colleagues for the meetings.
- Possess and maintain a high degree of familiarity with our programs, content, and success to share and keep Ballotpedia front-of-mind for Ballotpedia’s donors.
- Stay up to date on emerging tools, practices, and tactics for building relationships with donors.
- Using a variety of tactics and tools, develop an annual donor stewardship plan for individual and foundation donors.
- Manage Ballotpedia’s donor acknowledgement and appreciation program.
- Build a deep understanding of what motivates each donor to give and provide customized reports to donors based on that knowledge.
- Design and oversee a formal monthly communication and other outreach to current donors.
- Understand and implement best practices in the world of donor stewardship.
Foundation Relationship Management
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of Ballotpedia’s foundation supporters. Understand and execute on each foundation’s expectations regarding gift acknowledgments, grant agreements, and grant reporting.
- As needed, assist in the implementation of foundation grants, including sharing grant requirements, internally, drafting handoff documentation, and driving regular internal reporting.
- Regular department and organizational reporting..
- Manage Ballotpedia’s housefile mailings including writing housefile and cultivation mailings and managing the logistics of each mailing.
- Maintain Salesforce records.
An ideal External Relations Manager will:
- Have 3-4 years of demonstrated experience in the nonprofit development and fundraising field.
- Be a true believer in Ballotpedia’s mission to provide neutral, fact-based information to American voters. You’re excited about it and want to tell everyone else about it.
- Exemplify “organized persistence” in working with people.
- Love details, be detail oriented and love “living the details”.
- Exemplify curiosity, be eager to get to know our donors, discover what makes them tick, identify why they like Ballotpedia and learn how we can get them to like Ballotpedia even more.
- Be highly proficient with Salesforce (preferred) or other donor databases.
The External Relations Manager will work remotely from their home location. All Ballotpedia staff work remotely. To join Ballotpedia, you must have a computer with internet access. Ballotpedia uses Google Suite (Gmail, Google Calendar, Drive, and more), Slack, and Asana to accomplish our goals. Working familiarity and/or experience with these or similar platforms is highly desirable.
Ballotpedia has a flexible work environment, BP Flex, in which every employee enjoys unlimited vacation and flexibility in scheduling. Each employee will be oriented to the principles of Ballotpedia’s flexible environment during new employee training.
The starting base pay range for the External Relations Manager is $60,000-$70,000, commensurate with experience, with additional fundraising performance incentives.
In addition to salary, Ballotpedia offers performance bonuses and a $8,000 annual benefits stipend, which can be used to pay for a full benefits package, including health, vision, and dental insurance; retirement accounts; and more. If benefits are not elected, the $8,000 stipend is treated as regular income and added to salary.
To apply, visit the Ballotpedia job opportunities page and fill out the form.
Please attach the following in PDF format:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in Ballotpedia’s mission and your interest in and qualifications for position
Please ensure that either your résumé or cover letter includes your current address. Applications without addresses will not be accepted.