Federal Outreach Associate
EEO Statement: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Mercatus Center at George Mason University is seeking a Federal Outreach Associate to assist with the strategic development and implementation of research dissemination to Congress and federal agencies on financial markets and financial regulation/technological innovation.
This role will work closely with members of the Outreach, Communications and Marketing, and Policy Research teams, and reports to the Vice President of Outreach.
• Develop proactive dissemination strategies to promote Mercatus financial policy research to policymakers, committees of jurisdiction, and federal agencies
• Proactively identify opportunities for federal policy engagement with research scholars
• Establish and expand network of Hill and agency contacts on relevant policy issues
• Regularly monitor current and anticipated policy action on financial services-related issues on Capitol Hill and federal regulatory agencies and provide relevant updates to teams in a timely manner
• Identify and secure opportunities for scholars to brief and testify before relevant committees, Members of Congress, and agency decision makers
• Coordinate timely internal communications and reporting between Outreach team and other Mercatus departments
• Work collaboratively with the Media Relations and Events teams to develop communications tools and materials for research promotion, but also independently when necessary
• Support internal and external events related to financial services and regulatory issues
• Minimum of 2 years of experience working on Capitol Hill or a federal agency, with increasing levels of responsibility
• Basic understanding or strong interest in learning financial services, banking, and/or judiciary committee issues
• Strong network of Capitol Hill contacts and/or federal agencies preferred
• Knowledge of legislative process and familiarity with rulemaking procedures and regulatory policy analysis
• Effective writer and communicator, with excellent project management skills
• Good decision-maker who is organized, flexible, and prompt
• Strong attention to detail and high standards of excellence
• Outside of the box thinker who is a self-starter, and team-player with a sense of humor
• Bachelor's degree in Political Science, Economics, or related field
Help us Grow
Please submit your cover letter and resume in a single PDF through our online application process. Your cover letter must indicate your interest in the Mercatus Center's mission.
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Mercatus provides excellent benefits to all individual employees, including full health and dental coverage, flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, parking/travel benefits, and twelve free credits per year at George Mason University.
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University
For nearly 40 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems.