Government Affairs Region Manager
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C. and with regional offices around the country—is seeking a Northeast region manager to join our State Government Affairs team. If you are the right fit, you will report to the director of state government affairs. We are accepting candidates who are based in or near a state capital in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States. If you want to join an energetic organization and do something impactful, this may be just the opportunity you need!
In this role, you would serve as the regional ambassador and government relations point person for all of our programs, with an emphasis on integrated harm reduction, criminal justice, property and casualty insurance, and voting reforms. Your typical day could include speaking with collaborators on alternatives to incarceration, educating elected officials on policies that promote less harmful alternatives to combustible cigarettes, drafting an op-ed on free-market principles or testifying before legislative committees on our initiatives.
A good candidate will be a fantastic networker, a self-starter, a quick study on a wide range of policy areas and able to handle situations in a creative, entrepreneurial manner. We actively seek out diversity in all roles across the organization and are particularly eager to consider candidates who bring a unique background to this role.
Other Aspects of Your Role
- Educate state and local lawmakers and executive branch officials about R Street policy positions on harm reduction, criminal justice reform and a variety of other topics.
- Testify before legislative committees.
- Track and evaluate legislative and regulatory developments.
- Build ideologically broad coalition partnerships with other organizations to promote R Street messages.
- Arrange speaking, meeting and legislative testimony opportunities for R Street senior policy staff and R Street associates.
- Write papers for publication by R Street and others, as well as pieces for the popular and ideological press.
- Serve on periodic lookout shifts to guard against ninja infiltration.
Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience in government affairs in a Northeastern legislature. This might take the form of work as a legislative staffer, a lobbyist, a trade association professional or another related position.
- Demonstrated understanding of criminal justice reform and integrated harm reduction policies.
- Excellent writing ability, ideally demonstrated by a record of published work.
- Strong public speaking skills.
- Ability to articulate complex topics in easily digestible forms.
- Knowledge of, and connections with, civil society and industry groups within the Northeast region.
- No particular educational background is required: proven ability to achieve results is far more important than credentials.
- Passion for free markets and limited, effective government.
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization!
R Street offers a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position consistent with any other work that requires regular hours that can either work in our D.C. office or be remote.
Compensation, Benefits, and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
R Street is committed to a workplace that values diversity, equity and inclusion. We believe having a more diverse workforce will strengthen R Street’s ability to innovate, achieve our mission and support long-term systemic change. As people dedicated to limited, effective government and free markets, we understand that a free society achieves its greatest triumphs by allowing and facilitating a wide variety of approaches to public policy problems. The concept of “broad coalitions,” one of our core operating principles, stems from that insight. People of all races, religions, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, life experiences and socioeconomic backgrounds perform at the highest levels in every type of work that we do and have crafted the principles to which we subscribe. We believe that searching for talent everywhere is an integral part of living up to our principles.
To apply visit https://street.applytojob.com/apply/99EfWz6KR0/Government-Affairs-Region-Manager?source=AFF