R Street Institute
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks a graphic designer to conceptualize, design and produce visual products that translate complex policy concepts for a variety of audiences. Demonstrated experience with typography and the full suite of Adobe creative products required. If you want to join a collaborative and multifaceted organization working toward pragmatic, positive impact, this may be just the opportunity you need.
A typical day at R Street may include updating existing design templates, producing product layouts, creating infographics, working closely with the Creative Director and our policy teams to maximize the impact of their scholarship, and helping the Director of Research Publications to develop and standardize new policy products. This role is nested within the Publications department, which is housed alongside R Street’s policy team; however, this is not a policy position and, as such, does not require a political or ideological affiliation representative of R Street’s policy positions.
Key Aspects of Your Role
- Design a wide-range of routine-to-complex projects such as: charts, graphs, diagrams, infographics, illustrations, publication layouts, reports, cover designs, palm cards and logos
- Create materials that enhance R Street’s brand and policy expertise
- Layout all published assets to ensure overall quality, proper placement, balance, grammar, accessibility and typography
- Collaborate with the Creative Director and Director of Research Publications to determine the style, brand identity and target audiences for designed products
- Update existing templates to match company brand and style
- In coordination with the Director of Research Publications, create and standardize new publication products
- Manage workflow to meet scheduled deadlines and rapid response needs
- Work on ad-hoc projects and tasks as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- At least 3-5 years of design experience, preferably within a publishing environment
- Strong communication skills—must be able to present concepts in a clear, convincing manner to a range of audiences
- Detail-oriented, flexible, and able to manage multiple projects with overlapping deadlines
- High proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
- Experience with web design a plus, but not required
- A desire to work as part of a highly functional and productive team
- Profound love of cats specifically encouraged!
We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational and volunteer experiences. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
We offer a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or be fully remote.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
Unlimited paid time off policy, including all federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
R Street is committed to a workplace that values diversity, equity and inclusion. We believe having a more diverse workforce will strengthen R Street’s ability to innovate, achieve our mission and support long-term systemic change. As people dedicated to limited, effective government and free markets, we understand that a free society achieves its greatest triumphs by allowing and facilitating a wide variety of approaches to public policy problems. The concept of “broad coalitions,” one of our core operating principles, stems from that insight. People of all races, religions, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, life experiences and socioeconomic backgrounds perform at the highest levels in every type of work that we do and have shaped the principles to which we subscribe. We believe that searching for talent everywhere is an integral part of living up to our principles.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Interviews will be held virtually, via Zoom.
To apply, you must upload a cover letter, portfolio, and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.