Intercollegiate Studies Institute – Controller – Wilmington, DE or Virtual Office
Intercollegiate Studies Institute
Wilmington, DE or Virtual Office
The Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI) seeks a Controller to manage the accounting and budgeting for a nonprofit organization with a high-seven-figure annual budget. Reporting to ISI’s Vice President for Operations, the Controller tracks both cash- and accrual-based accounting and provides management with the financial information needed to advance ISI’s work.
ISI was founded in 1953 and “educates for liberty” by inspiring college students to discover, embrace, and advance the principles and virtues that make America free and prosperous. Today, we are looking for energetic individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit who can help us as we advance our mission to thousands of students, introducing them to the core ideas behind the free enterprise system, the American Founding, and Western civilization
ISI prefers that the Controller be based in Wilmington, DE but will consider exceptional candidates in a virtual office.
- Provide management with accurate and insightful information pertaining to ISI’s financial picture to aid in decision making and developing new business strategies
- Prepare monthly financial statements, record accrual entries, and prepare a timely monthly-end close
- Direct accounts receivable and accounts payable to ensure ISI and its vendors are paid in a timely fashion
- Monitor bank accounts for daily activity and reconcile accounts and fund balances
- Track ISI’s publication inventory, recording costs of goods sold, and fulfilling author royalty payments
- Coordinate the annual budgeting process and monitor and report on operating expenses and other business performance metrics throughout the fiscal year
- Manage a successful annual audit process and the proper completion, submission, and distribution of the Institute’s 990 tax form
- Train staff involved in accounting tasks on the proper execution of their related duties
- Ensure that accounting procedures follow ISI’s accounting manual and meet GAAP
- Five or more years of accounting experience
- Passionate about ISI’s mission
- Knowledge of practices and regulations related to nonprofit accounting
- Attainment of or demonstrated progress toward CPA designation
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or economics
- Organized, proactive, and results oriented with strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- A positive attitude and flexible work style, including the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft software, including Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Knowledge of Quickbooks and Salesforce or similar accounting and contact management software
- Position is full-time and open to both resident and remote applicants
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF:
- Cover letter detailing: a) your interest in this position, b) your interest in/commitment to the mission of ISI, and c) salary requirements
- A list of 3+ references
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: http://www.talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.