Legal Recruiting Coordinator
The Institute for Justice, the National Law Firm for Liberty, is looking for a highly organized and proactive professional to serve as its Legal Recruiting and Student Programs Coordinator. This dual role is responsible for assisting with ongoing attorney hiring initiatives, coordinating programs for law students throughout the year, and managing our summer law student fellows and semester clerks. It is a key position as the Institute for Justice (IJ) looks to grow our team of litigators and continue to reach the highest-caliber law students through our established and thriving calendar of student programs.
This position presents a rewarding opportunity for someone with an interest in recruiting and the law to get to know aspiring public interest lawyers as law students and then follow them throughout their early careers – which we hope will include joining IJ!
Legal Recruiting responsibilities include:
- Assisting the Director of Recruiting in meeting the annual attorney recruiting goals.
- Promoting attorney openings internally and externally.
- Creating interview schedules and collecting feedback on candidates.
- Organizing and maintaining candidate information.
- Reviewing applications and flagging promising resumes in our applicant tracking system, JazzHR.
- Working with HR and other departments to ensure a smooth onboarding experience for new attorney hires.
- Assisting with other recruiting projects as needed.
Student Programs responsibilities include:
- Working with the Assistant Director of Litigation Operations to introduce IJ to students across the country through clerkships, internships, conferences and other targeted programming.
- Helping to evaluate candidates by screening applications, participating in interviews and coordinating work reviews.
- Planning, promoting and executing opportunities for students to learn about public interest law, including at IJ’s annual Law Student Conference and two annual Legal Intensives.
- Maintaining relationships with law school career services offices.
- Coordinating hiring cycles for the Dave Kennedy Summer Fellowship for law students, undergraduate summer internships and law student semester clerkships.
- Planning comprehensive programming for summer and semester students.
- Assisting with other projects as they arise.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 2-3 years of full-time professional work experience, preferably within the legal or non-profit field.
- The ability to juggle multiple projects and tasks with overlapping deadlines.
- Superb judgment and a proactive nature.
- A creative and forward-thinking mindset.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- A desire to specialize in legal recruiting.
- Mastery of Microsoft Office programs.
- A team player mentality willing to take on other tasks and projects as needed.
- Experience working on grant funded programs is a plus.
By joining the uniquely supportive and collegial team at IJ, the Legal Recruiting and Student Programs Coordinator will gain experience in legal recruiting while helping to advance IJ’s mission. We also offer a competitive salary; full health, dental and life insurance benefits; and a retirement savings plan.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter here. No phone calls, please.
IJ is an equal opportunity employer.