Legislative and Policy Specialist – Citizen’s Council for Health Freedom – St. Paul, MN or Virtual Office
About the Organization
CCHF is a non-partisan, free-market organization that promotes policy ideas consistent with the principles of limited government, individual liberty and free markets. Recognized as the leading free-market voice for patient-centered care and medical privacy rights, CCHF’s primary area of focus is health care policy, with an emphasis on freedom, free-markets and the medical privacy rights that protect patient and doctor freedom.
About the Role
CCHF is seeking a Legislative and Policy Specialist to advance the free-market public policy agenda of CCHF in Minnesota and other states, in addition to activities at the federal level. In addition to tracking relevant state legislation, the Specialist will be primarily responsible for attending meetings with policy makers, conducting research on policy proposals, and communicating CCHF’s policy and legislative goals.
The preferred location for this position is in St. Paul, Minnesota, where CCHF is headquartered. Exceptional candidates will be considered for a virtual office. Depending on primary location, the Specialist will be expected to travel to Washington D.C. or out-of-state approximately 5-10% of the year.
Major areas of responsibility vary by Congressional and Legislative calendars and may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain thorough and ongoing tracking of relevant state legislation
- Schedule, prepare and attend meetings with state and federal policy makers
- Prepare testimony for legislative hearings (and testify as skill level progresses)
- Conduct research on policy directives and statutory requirements
- Writing for legislative drafts, media projects, reports, research projects and memos, as necessary
- Collection and management of specific data for reports and projects
- Helping draft model legislation
- Communicate CCHF’s policy and legislative issues and progress in newsletters, emails, and events
- General office assistance as needed
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent skills in verbal and written communication, including using correct sentence structure, grammar, and formatting in a written document for maximum readability and comprehension
- Moderate to strong understanding of the legislative process
- Ability to speak to groups of any size
- Strong reading comprehension skills and commitment to thorough research methods and policy analysis
- Experience in research and writing (legislative drafting is a plus)
- Personable presence in conversations or discussions
- Familiarity with common PC and Mac software, including MS Office
- Commitment to medical freedom and free-market principles
- Ability to travel approximately 5-10% of the time
Preferred Knowledge and Skills
- 2 to 5 years of experience in public policy, government relations, or related field
- Interest in law
- Critical and strategic thinking
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Résumé with a focus on a candidate’s measurable accomplishments
- Cover letter detailing:
- Interest in the position, including a passionate commitment to the mission of CCHF
- Salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Network Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.