The Institute for Justice seeks an entry-level attorney to support the legislative team in promoting economic liberty and opportunities for entrepreneurs by reducing barriers to entry.
The Institute for Justice, IJ, is the National Law Firm for Liberty. IJ was established in 1991 and has won cases in courts across the country, including six at the U.S. Supreme Court. In addition to fighting in court on behalf of small business owners, educational choice advocates, property owners and free speech issues, the Institute for Justice has a legislative team working to make changes at the local and state government levels.
- Developing legislative strategies that include researching opportunities for legislative reform in states, identifying and organizing clients and grassroot advocates, forming and leading coalitions with members of politically diverse organizations, drafting bills based on model legislation, selecting legislative authors, and writing supporting materials;
- Executing legislative strategies including lobbying state legislators and other policy makers to repeal or convert occupational licenses and other entry requirements to less restrictive forms of regulation, and testifying at committee hearings in support of legislation; and
- Communicating internally and externally with legislators, constituents and media.
Required Skills and Experience:
This is an entry-level attorney position for someone with 0-3 years of experience related to federal or state legislation.
In addition, IJ’s Legislative Counsel will possess the following skills:
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate persuasively, orally and in writing, to legislators, policy makers, clients, colleagues, coalition members and media;
- Top-tier organization skills including preparing and executing detailed plans for lobbying with clients from diverse cultures and external members of coalitions;
- A law degree, and an ability to conduct legal research, analyze statutes and draft legislation;
- Perseverance, ability to work autonomously, and passion for enhancing opportunities by increasing economic liberty;
- Ability to travel to multiple state capitals; and
- Potential to lead increasingly more sophisticated efforts in future legislative sessions.
Ideally, the Legislative Counsel will also have familiarity with hair braiding, as a practitioner or consumer, and other niche services related to cosmetology including threading, hair-styling and make-up.
The Legislative Counsel can be based in IJ’s office in Tempe, AZ or IJ’s headquarters in Arlington, VA.
- Compensation is commensurate with experience and exceeds pay scales of other legal non-profits and the government’s General Schedule.
- IJ offers superior benefits including medical, dental, vision and life insurance, retirement benefits and generous paid leave.
To apply, please click here and submit a resume and cover letter.