Local Outreach Programs Officer
Iowans for Tax Relief Foundation is Iowa’s pro-growth, free market think tank. For over 40 years we have worked to make Iowa a state bursting with opportunity and pathways to success. By promoting the principles of limited government, we have laid the policy foundation for many conservative victories in Iowa. Our recent accomplishments include:
- Three rounds of income tax cuts that are restructuring the individual income tax system from a top rate of 8.98% to a 3.9% flat tax, and the corporate income tax system from a top rate of 12.0% to a 5.5% flat tax.
- Elimination of the inheritance tax and the elimination of taxes on retirement income.
- Creation of Universal Education Savings Accounts.
- Comprehensive occupational licensing reform that included universal recognition, fee waivers, and criminal justice accommodations.
- Protection of donor privacy for contributors to non-profit organizations.
- Home-based business protections.
As a result of our efforts, more Iowans than ever have been able to rely on freedom and their own choices and ingenuity, instead of being shackled by government mandates and control. But even with all of the progress that has been made in our state, there is still lots of work to be done to keep government operating within its limited and appropriate role…especially at the local level.
That’s why we are looking to expand our team and find a Local Outreach Programs Officer who will help take our organization to the next level of community engagement. The Local Outreach Programs Officer will expand our capacity and provide a presence in communities across the state.
The main role of the Local Outreach Programs Officer will be to manage ITR Foundation’s newest initiative- ITR Local- by identifying potential citizen allies and developing relationships with them; building coalitions of engaged taxpayers; managing special events; acting as a liaison between ITR Foundation and local activists; and assisting in certain communications responsibilities. ITR Local will have a direct impact in slowing down the growth of property taxes, while also attracting more citizen activists to join us in implementing free-market policies.
Despite our long history, ITR Foundation refuses to be complacent and we are always asking ourselves “what’s next?” We are a lean and nimble organization that empowers our team members to directly and decisively accomplish their objectives. We do not shy away from setting ambitious goals and neither should our Local Outreach Programs Officer. He or she should have an entrepreneurial spirit, work at a high velocity, possess compassion and empathy, and be results-oriented and optimistic.
We believe that the principles of limited government that remove barriers, incentivize work, and allow Iowans to hold onto more of their own money are the foundation of a flourishing state. Our Outreach Programs Officer must believe in and abide by these core principles, too.
This junior-level addition to the team will work out of ITRF’s office in West Des Moines, Iowa, where they will collaborate closely with other team members and report directly to the ITRF President. Work-day travel across Iowa will be approximately 50-75% of the time, with evening and weekend events as required. ITRF will provide a car for the business travel, as well as a gas card and reimbursement for personal expenses.
We are seeking a candidate who is eager to develop their skills and grow within ITRF or the larger free-market movement. We are committed to supporting your professional development and helping you find opportunities for growth.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Identify Iowans who are impacted by burdens placed on them by government and who desire to see real change in their community through applying limited government principles
- Cultivate relationships with those Iowans, identifying and coordinating opportunities for them to make a difference in their hometowns
- Build coalitions of interested stakeholders across the state who share the same goals as ITRF
- Serve as point person between engaged citizens, internal staff, and external audiences.
- Arrange networking opportunities, small-scale events, and speaking engagements across Iowa to facilitate ITRF’s message of limited government and economic opportunity. This includes reserving venues, setting up catering, collecting registrations, and arranging accommodations for speakers and special guests
- Work closely with ITRF’s policy team to develop a coalition partnership strategy, build and grow coalitions for certain ITRF priorities, and set coalition meetings
- Work closely with the policy and communications teams for ITRF and Iowans for Tax Relief—our sister advocacy organization
- Develop advisory board and outreach program for our young professionals (21-40 year-old) supporters
- Identify and coordinate external speaking events by ITRF representatives
- Assist Communications Team in key communications tasks, particularly related to the management of social media and in areas where our communications and outreach arms intersect
Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate:
- 1-3 years of outreach and coalition-building experience, with knowledge of how to build meaningful relationships
- Passion for ITRF’s mission and affinity for liberty and free market principles
- Ability to travel across the state approximately 50-70% of the time
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong ethical focus
- Outgoing, dynamic, charismatic personality with an independent work ethic
- Understanding of public policy and knowledge of political processes
- Understanding of or experience in political campaigns is a plus
- Proficiency with Salesforce or other CRM platforms is a plus
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position, ITRF’s mission, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Outreach Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.