Marketing and Sales Director – Independent Institute – Oakland, CA or Virtual office
About the Independent Institute:
The Independent Institute is a non-profit, non-partisan, public-policy research and educational organization that shapes ideas into lasting impact through publications, conferences, and effective multi-media programs. Our mission is to boldly advance peaceful, prosperous, and free societies grounded in a commitment to human worth and dignity. Applying independent thinking to issues that matter, we create transformational ideas for today’s most pressing social and economic challenges.
The Marketing and Sales Director is responsible for developing and implementing all marketing and social media plans and campaigns, with two goals in mind: widening and deepening the audience for Independent’s ideas and products (“marketing”) and then actually increasing the number of products sold or ideas disseminated to those audiences (“sales”). Independent Institute prefers that the new hire work in their Oakland office but will consider exceptional candidates for virtual work.
Major operational responsibilities of the Marketing and Sales Director include the following overlapping areas, carried out directly and with the assistance of a team led by the Director:
- Marketing Management. Develop and implement effective email, direct mail, promotional, and ad campaigns, to promote Independent’s books, journal, programs, and events. This work includes the creation and management of a calendar of promotional campaigns; preparing suitable content and messaging; administering ad placements, including online ads and paid and exchange ads with other publications and sites; organizing collateral and website promotional initiatives; coordinating with other departments which are also engaged in outreach activities; and overseeing mailing list rentals to others. This work also includes the creation and management of all relevant budgets.
- Events Management. Plan, develop and implement Independent’s promotional events both on and off site. This involves liaison with staff, research fellows, partner organizations, and others to develop opportunities and programs to enhance Independent’s brand and our research centers and fellows, including delivery of anticipated outcomes regarding events.
- Millennial/GenZ Marketing. Work closely with other departments to develop a Next Generation Program marketing plan including competitive analysis, products and services (e.g., digital content delivery), promotion, pricing, distribution, partnerships, and budget. Partner with and promote Independent’s Millennial-oriented Love Gov and Catalyst
- Social Media. Oversee all Independent’s social media platforms. Prepare written social media plans including metrics that describe key strategies, objectives, messaging and action. Curate and develop content (e.g., op-eds, blogs, memes) to cultivate online conversations and engagement with our audience to increase engagement and reach. Give direction to a Social Media Manager. Report weekly on social media activity and metrics using analytic tools.
- Sales and Subscriber Management for Independent’s growing line of books and for The Independent Review. Coordinate campaigns to maintain and increase book sales and The Independent Review subscriber base and distribution; undertake library promotion activities; monitor campaign and sales results; and suggest improvements for promotion and sales.
Note: The Marketing and Sales Director reports to the Executive Director
- A strong commitment to the ideas animating the Independent Institute
- 5+ years of experience in marketing and sales; experience in book marketing would be ideal
- Experience in creating broad plans that also contain detailed implementation objectives and measurable outcomes, and carrying them out successfully
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Digital and social media dexterity
- Flawless writing skills
- Appropriate educational credentials are a plus (e.g., B.A. and/or M.A. in marketing or policy)
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF:
- Cover letter detailing: a) your interest in this position, b) your interest in/commitment to the mission of Independent Institute c) salary requirements
- Marketing or sales portfolio if available
- Professional references
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: http://www.talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.