Media Relations Manager
EEO Statement: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Mercatus Center at George Mason University is seeking a Media Relations Manager to join our communications team. This role is responsible for effectively disseminating Mercatus research and ideas to members of the media. This role will work closely with members of the communications, research, and outreach teams and reports to the Director of Media Relations.
- Pitch Mercatus research and scholars to targeted reporters and media outlets through press releases, personal emails and in-person meetings.
- Serve as communications representative for specific research programs, working with the program manager and scholars to determine research release strategies.
- Work with specific research programs to create and execute short- and long-term strategic communication plans for each program.
- Craft messaging, press releases and key points to effectively explain Mercatus research findings.
- Build and maintain strategic media lists and relationships.
- Assist in preparing scholars for media interviews and events.
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in public relations, journalism, or communications required.
- Excellent oral communication skills and the ability to translate economic research for a nontechnical audience.
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills in developing short-form content.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to work effectively in a fast-pace workplace.
- An ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment.An entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for advancing the Mercatus mission.
- Familiarity with economic and academic concepts a plus.
Help us Grow
Please submit your cover letter and resume in a single PDF through our online application process. Your cover letter must indicate your interest in the Mercatus Center's mission.
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Mercatus provides excellent benefits to all individual employees, including full health and dental coverage, flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, parking/travel benefits, and twelve free credits per year at George Mason University.
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University
For nearly 40 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems.