Operations and Community Relations Manager
The Institute for Justice Clinic on Entrepreneurship at the University of Chicago Law School seeks a bright and dedicated person to join our team as Operations and Community Relations Manager. Part of the Institute for Justice, the national law firm for liberty, the IJ Clinic provides free legal assistance for low-income entrepreneurs in Chicago and advocates for legal reforms so that entrepreneurs in Chicago have the freedom to pursue their dreams. The IJ Clinic also serves as a support for low-income entrepreneurs by providing workshops and conferences on pressing issues, as well as holding events and producing materials that showcase entrepreneurs’ inspiring stories.
The Operations and Community Relations Manager is a key member of the IJ Clinic’s small and dynamic team. The ideal candidate is excited about coordinating community outreach and programming for entrepreneurs, and maintaining and improving the IJ Clinic’s administrative systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, plan, and execute the Clinic’s events and advocacy campaigns under the direction of clinic director and associate director, for example:
- Lead South Side Pitch, a yearly business pitch competition. Promote application and coordinate application review and selection. Plan and execute event, finding creative ways to involve community partners and solicit applications
- Organize Chicago’s tamale vendors through the Street Vendors Justice Coalition. Plan and execute activism events and legislative outreach to push for more reasonable regulations
- Cultivate strategic partnerships with business development and community organizations
- Create persuasive, public-facing materials that present the IJ Clinic’s research findings and advance policy goals
- Oversee the clinic’s website, social media and information technology in order to maximize awareness and engagement
- Create new methods to spread awareness of the clinic’s mission and services
- Provide administrative support for clinic’s activities and staff
- Participate in strategic planning to increase the Clinic’s impact and bring value to a greater number of entrepreneurs
- Manage databases and tracking of clinic contacts
- Ensure all systems are working effectively and that all staff have what they need to execute their jobs
- Manage work plans and coordinate attorneys’ schedules, regular team meetings and project timelines
- Improve effectiveness of clinic operations, task management and information maintenance
- Manage client intake and participate in client selection process
- Compile and analyze metrics for statistical reports
- Bachelor’s degree
- Persistence executing across a diverse range of work streams and prioritizing among them
- Ability to take ownership of projects and manage tasks independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills with new people. Comfort with and interest in working with diverse communities
- Interest in entrepreneurship and community development
- Strong communications, writing, and proofing skills
- Familiarity with social media (Twitter/Facebook/Instagram) and competency with Microsoft Word are necessary
- Experience with event management, Microsoft Excel, Google Docs, Salesforce, or WordPress are a plus
Please visit www.ij.org/jobs and submit a resume and cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications. We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and will begin reviewing applications on April 19th. First round phone interviews will occur the week of April 29th, at the latest.
No phone calls, please.