The Competitive Enterprise Institute seeks a Philanthropy Associate to execute data management, record-keeping, and administrative support for an experienced development team of five. This position is most suitable for an individual with 1 to 4 years of experience in fundraising and/or sales, with strong communication and organizational skills. Flexibility, team cooperation, an ability to juggle multiple tasks, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a deep attention to detail are all essential.
CEI’s offices are located in downtown Washington, DC. Relocation expense will not be provided. Expected travel outside of metro Washington, DC is minimal, and likely to be no more than once per year. There is opportunity for growth in this position, with respect to both additional responsibilities and greater autonomy in work. CEI often prefers to hire for new positions from within the organization.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position is currently approved for remote work. However, once the pandemic has abated, the Philanthropy Associate will be expected to work out of CEI’s Washington, DC offices.
CEI is a non-profit public policy organization dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty. Our mission is to promote both freedom and fairness by making good policy good politics. We make the uncompromising case for economic freedom because we believe it is essential for entrepreneurship, innovation, and prosperity to flourish. CEI pursues a full-service approach to advancing public policy, which includes conducting original scholarly research, active communications campaigns, direct advocacy with policymakers, and litigation. Founded in 1984, CEI has grown into an effective advocate for freedom on a wide range of critical policy issues, including energy, environment, business and finance, technology, telecommunications, and food and drug regulation.
Culture matters; CEI is a feisty think tank that embraces a forward-thinking and entrepreneurial approach to policy change. Members of the philanthropy team operate in a horizontally-cooperative team structure with an emphasis on accountability to one another. They work hard, have a good sense of humor, enjoy life, and are intensely dedicated to an upward trajectory of growth for the organization.
Assisting back-office record-keeping, communication, and administrative processes for the philanthropy department. Where necessary, training will be provided for these tasks and processes, which include:
- Maintaining donor communication and fundraising records in a variety of formats that include both print and electronic documents, and database entries;
- Preparing donor receipts and tracking distribution to ensure timeline delivery to donors;
- Ensuring data integrity through capturing and tracking relevant donor information in CEI’s database;
- Executing routinely scheduled donation deposits, tracking contributions, and associated record-keeping;
- Assisting CEI’s president and other members of the philanthropy team in preparing and executing various communications with donors and prospective donors, including by letter mail, email, and telephone;
- Researching prospective donors and preparing donor reports for CEI’s president and other members of the philanthropy team;
- Assisting with the preparation and execution of fundraising events and activities;
- Facilitating communication and information-sharing among members of the philanthropy team and with other members of the CEI staff; and
- Other similar and related activities as assigned.Qualifications
• The ideal candidate will have 1 to 4 years of experience in fundraising and/or sales (substantive internships may be considered relevant experience).
• Experience with database management a plus.
If you believe that this position may be a good fit, these words will describe you:
- Communicator. You have excellent oral communication, writing, and editing abilities. Any type of strong writing skills will be considered, but policy and/or journalism experience provides added benefit.
- Detail Oriented. You are relentless about accuracy with regard to both content and formatting. You will have identified no fewer than three grammar or editing mistakes in this document.
- Team Player. CEI’s philanthropy team is a close-knit, five-person team that works hard (and sometimes works long hours) to serve the organization and its many donors.
- Discreet. You have a lifelong commitment to discretion and to maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of information entrusted to your care. You are comfortable and diligent when handing highly confidential materials and information.
- Teachable. You are eager to learn new things and never put off by mundane tasks. You are also happy to work within established boundaries.
- Self-starter. You are willing and able to jump into project management. You know when to ask for help, but, once trained, you don’t need hand-holding. You’re comfortable receiving increasing autonomy to manage your own work and important processes.
- Multi-Tasker. You thrive in an environment that demands multi-tasking.
- Focused. You are able to focus on specific tasks for as long as necessary. While skilled at multi-tasking, you know how to avoid being distracted. You drive yourself to get the job done right and on time.
- Curious and Policy-Minded. You like public policy and are curious enough to enjoy the challenge of taking complex policy ideas and distilling them in ways that are both factually accurate and interesting to potential grant-makers.
- Planner. You enjoy planning and executing complex processes.
- Deadline Driven. You are personally punctual. You are deadline-driven. Making the trains run on time and meeting deadlines are simply part of your DNA.
- Flexible. You easily maintain a positive, flexible attitude whenever needs or priorities shift.
- Aligned. You are, politically libertarian or conservative and can discuss your philosophical alignment with CEI’s mission and vision. Please see the CEI website, cei.org, for a deeper understanding of the organization’s policy agenda.To Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document to [email protected]:
• Cover letter detailing your interest in and qualifications for this position;
• Two Writing Samples (no more than 3 pages long each); and
• 3 or more professional and/or personal references.