Policy Director, Insurance (P&C)
R Street Institute
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country—seeks a highly knowledgeable property and casualty insurance expert to head its financial services program. While we work on a wide range of topics today, we began as an insurance think tank and, as such, this position plays an important role in our organization. The person who fills this job will be our leading voice on insurance and work with a staff that has significant pockets of insurance experience in many places.
R Street has worked on insurance for longer than any other issue and our impacts have included contribution to major reforms at the state level in places like Florida, Michigan and North Carolina as well as a key role in developing plans that have resulted in reforms to the National Flood Insurance Program. We also played a major role in developing the system used to insure transportation network companies around the country.
A typical day at R Street might include writing a blog post for Insurance Journal on no fault reform, consulting with a state legislature of residual coastal market reform in that state and working with an environmental group’s president to write about ways that the National Flood Insurance Program can do more to take climate change risks into account.
Other Aspects of Your Role
- Write widely and convincingly on a variety of state-level insurance market issues largely in the automobile, commercial and home insurance spaces.
- Work with outside groups in environmental, free-market and other public policy communities to advance free market reforms in a variety of federal insurance programs such as the flood and terrorism risk insurance programs.
- Oversee the creation and compilation of R Street’s annual state insurance report card.
- Speak at industry, consumer and public policy events about insurance topics.
- Oversee R Street’s other financial services staff and coordinate our overall financial services portfolio which includes work on banks, credit unions, trade and other financial services.
- Spearhead fundraising by creating proposals for new ventures and maintaining relations with existing supporters with support from business development.
- Manage the expenses of the department to assure its solvency.
Skills and Qualifications
- Significant proven experience with property and casualty insurance, including fundraising.
- Knowledge of and experience with federally backed insurance programs such as National Flood Insurance and Terrorism Risk Insurance.
- Knowledge of the reinsurance industry, particularly with regard to its role in P&C insurance.
- Broad general knowledge of the financial services industry beyond insurance.
- Knowledge of state insurance regulation and, ideally, an understanding of residual market mechanisms at the state level.
- A strong network within the P&C insurance industry and preferably a reference from at least one sitting insurance commissioner.
- Demonstrated record of excellent published work on insurance topics which, ideally, should include at least some work in the popular press.
- Excellent spoken and written communications skills.
- Alignment with our mission of supporting free markets and limited, effective government.
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization.
This is a full-time job based in Washington, D.C. However, for the duration of COVID-19-related closures, this position will be required to work remotely until our office reopens. Individuals not living in the Washington, D.C. area currently are encouraged to apply and will not be expected to move until sometime after the COVID-19 pandemic ends. Once normal schedules resume, this job will also require some travel within the United States and internationally.
While agreement with every position R Street has ever taken is not necessary, we want to hire someone who largely supports positions consistent with our past work. Examples of policies we have supported include:
- Maximum possible transfer of property risk from taxpayers to the private sector. In particular, we believe that the federal crop, flood and terrorism insurance programs should all be smaller than they are today. We also support efforts to transfer other government liabilities to the private sector.
- Risk-based insurance rates in all markets and limitations on states’ rate regulatory authority.
- Reforms to assignment of benefits, no fault and other state-level systems that improve certainty for consumers and the industry alike.
- Openness with industry regulatory data.
- Strong enforcement of insurer solvency standards and support for reasonable form regulation.
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families); wellness benefit; employer-subsidized mobile phones benefit; 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match; and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that's illegal, immoral or nonsensical to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Due to COVID-19, we will hold interviews virtually, via Zoom, until our D.C. office reopens.
To apply, please upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.