Alaska Policy Forum
Anchorage, AK or Virtual Office
About the Organization
Alaska Policy Forum (APF) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank based in Anchorage, Alaska. Our mission is to empower and educate Alaskans and policymakers by promoting policies that grow freedom for all. Our priorities include promoting limited government and responsible spending, increasing government transparency and efficiency, educating Alaskans about their labor rights, improving educational outcomes, and increasing healthcare options while lowering costs.
APF is a small organization, operating with an executive director and an associate director. We are looking to expand our team with a policy manager to increase APF’s capacity in various policy areas.
About the Opening
APF seeks to expand its team with a policy manager. This individual will promote APF’s policy priorities by working in conjunction with the executive director and associate director on forwarding strategic objectives. As part of this process, the policy manager will conduct original research, arrange for contract research, complete policy analyses, and produce related content ranging in length from op-eds to policy briefs. Additionally, the policy manager will supervise the research and analysis interns, delegating tasks when appropriate and reviewing work for accuracy.
This position is full-time and will ideally be located in APF’s Anchorage headquarters, but remote applicants—within Alaska and Outside—will be considered.
- Research – Discover opportunities in innovative policy, review successes in other states, and produce original research that will guide the understanding of the effects of policies and drive the conversation on solutions that are available for Alaska.
- Analysis – Analyze policy options facing the state of Alaska—particularly those that would bolster or threaten APF strategic objectives—looking at the impact on individuals, businesses, government, and the state as a whole.
- Writing – Combine the results of research and analysis to write a variety of compelling content that targets various audiences, including policymakers and segments of the general public.
- Supervision – Supervise one to two policy interns each semester by delegating research and writing tasks that will supplement the policy program. Review interns’ work for accuracy in data analysis and conclusions.
- 2–8 years of experience in policy research, analysis, and writing
- Prefer 1+ year managing subordinates
- Semi-frequent travel including trips to Juneau during the legislative session, local travel for events, and cross-country travel for two to four conferences per year.
- Salary will be commensurate with experience
- 30 days of paid vacation annually, prorated to the policy manager’s start date
- Work from home as needed
- APF does not offer health insurance but has access to a medical cost sharing program
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Resume (one page preferred)
- Cover letter describing your interest in Alaska Policy Forum’s mission
- 800-word writing sample—the ideal writing sample will be relevant to Alaska Policy Forum’s work; otherwise any 800-word writing sample you’d like to provide is sufficient
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Network Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.