Quality Assurance Specialist – Remote
Ballotpedia is a team of fast learners who are eager to work hard to make the world a better place. We believe the world would be a better place if every voter cast an informed vote in every election in which he or she is eligible to vote. We work long hours to present the available information about elections, candidates, judges, ballot measures, and more in a way that enables our readers to vote with confidence and to act as engaged citizens outside of the polling booth.
Ballotpedia readers, like Ballotpedia staff, are special people. And in 2016, we got curious enough about what made our readers special to commission an in-depth study to answer that question. Here’s an excerpt from the conclusion:
Readers are characterized by their decision to run toward knowledge, instead of retreating. This sense of “onward” characterizes the Ballotpedia readers—they recognized a problem with the media they had been consuming and sought out a different way.
Readers have found and continue to find our articles in droves. It turns out there is an unclaimed audience out there—people who want straightforward facts about political issues, and are willing to read at length instead of just scanning the headlines.
We’re discovering “If you build it, they will come” applies to our work engaging and informing voters: our readers come to our neutral oasis in growing numbers; by 2016, fully 20 percent of American voters read one or more of Ballotpedia’s 250,000+ encyclopedic articles in the six weeks leading up to election day. Mostly, they came from Google. Google has always loved our detailed, well-sourced articles, because their algorithm is excellent at figuring out what their searchers are after.
That search engine dominance got us past one BILLION lifetime pageviews in September 2018, and helped make us the 92nd most-visited website in the U.S. during the month surrounding the November 2018 midterms.
We scarcely had an email list before 2016. We now have over 250,000 subscribers on more than a dozen separate lists. We are working in numerous ways to help put our neutral information in front of people at the times when they most need it. We firmly believe that our readers, and the mindset we help them cultivate, are essential, as too many others in our industry are fighting to get us all addicted to sensational clickbait headlines and the irrational decisions they foster.
And, with all that, we’re just getting started, knowing that the opportunities and growth ahead are limitless. If this is a mission you’d be willing to work hard to achieve, and if this is a team you’d be willing to work hard with, join us.
Ballotpedia is seeking a full-time Quality Assurance Specialist to join our organization.
Ballotpedia produces a high volume of content—encyclopedic articles, data related to our political coverage, newsletters, social media posts, and more. We maintain high standards for quality, accuracy, and neutrality across all of our content. Our Quality Assurance Team is responsible for ensuring that all of our products meet these high quality standards.
The person who fills this role will be dedicated to furthering the QA Team’s mission. He or she must have a keen eye for identifying deficiencies and improvements—maintaining a creative and innovative mindset with regard to Ballotpedia’s existing processes. This position will require excellent attention to detail and a strong understanding of QA principles and statistics.
The Quality Assurance Specialist will work closely with Ballotpedia’s Quality Editor, Tech Manager, and other managers throughout the organization. He or she must have excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as an ability to collaborate well with others. Strong organization, prioritization, and time management skills are key.
A strong candidate for this role must be comfortable working with spreadsheets and data. He or she will be responsible for analyzing Ballotpedia’s existing auditing processes and data and will work to improve those quality assurance systems. He or she will not rely on the status quo but will instead look to drive improvements.
As a Quality Assurance Specialist, you will:
• Coordinate and analyze audits of Ballotpedia’s datasets, providing reliable tracking for our content’s accuracy
• Review control charts and help identify special causes of variance for abnormal audit results
• Test new page components and software tools in coordination with our Tech Team
• Help devise methods for error prevention in Ballotpedia’s processes, data, and narrative content
• Regularly review Ballotpedia’s existing quality metrics with an eye for efficiency, accuracy, and statistical significance
• Assist teams across Ballotpedia with coordinating improvement projects—forming proper predictions, developing accurate testing methods, and evaluating the benefits of the proposed changes
• Work with teams across Ballotpedia to help prioritize projects based on an understanding of the return on investment for each project
• Create detailed, comprehensive, and well-structured test plans and test cases
• Estimate, prioritize, plan, and coordinate quality testing activities
• Test current products and identify deficiencies
• Suggest solutions to identified product problems
• Investigate product quality in order to make improvements and achieve better customer satisfaction
• Use quality assurance tools—such as fishbone diagrams, flowcharts, pareto charts, and driver diagrams—to help prevent and correct errors across Ballotpedia
• Provide regular reports and updates on quality to Ballotpedia’s Executive Team and Senior Editorial Team
• Communicate effectively with coworkers through email, Slack, Asana, and voice calls
• Maintain flexibility among dynamic circumstances and priorities
Skills and Qualifications
A Quality Assurance Specialist must possess:
• An appreciation for Ballotpedia’s mission
• A strong grasp of quality assurance principles, with related work experience preferred
• A firm understanding of statistics and statistical tools/software
• Experience working in databases and spreadsheets
• A drive for creativity and innovation
• An ability to identify and solve problems proactively
• Strong project management skills and the ability to multitask, set priorities, and follow through
• Superb organizational skills and a focus on detail
• A desire to work collaboratively with Ballotpedia staff from multiple departments
• Self-awareness and a drive toward constant improvement
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
The Quality Assurance Specialist will work remotely from his or her home location. All Ballotpedia staff work remotely. To join Ballotpedia, you must have a computer with internet access. Ballotpedia uses the Google Suite (Gmail, Google Calendar, Drive, and more), Slack, and Asana to accomplish our goals. Some familiarity with the Google Suite, Slack, and Asana are helpful.
Ballotpedia has a flexible work environment in which every employee is 100% accountable to the results and 100% autonomous over their time. Each employee will be oriented to the principles of Ballotpedia’s flexible environment during new employee training.
The pay range for the Quality Assurance Specialist is commensurate with experience; compensation reviews occur each December after the completion of an initial review period.
In addition to salary, Ballotpedia offers bonuses based on performance and a $6,500 annual benefits stipend, which may be used to pay for a full benefits package, including health, vision, and dental insurance; retirement accounts; and more. If benefits are not elected, the $6,500 stipend is taxed as regular income and added to salary.
To apply, visit the Ballotpedia job opportunities page and fill out the form.
Please attach the following in PDF format:
• cover letter detailing your interest in Ballotpedia’s mission and this position
Please ensure that either your résumé or your cover letter include your current address.