Oklahoma City, OK
About the Organization
1889 Institute is a nonprofit, Oklahoma-based state policy think tank. We analyze and develop state public policies for the State of Oklahoma based on principles of limited and responsible government, free enterprise and a robust civil society. We disseminate analyses and recommendations to policymakers and the general public, using sound research to better inform policy debates. The Institute does not lobby. Our work addresses many aspects of education policy, institutions that impact free enterprise, fiscal policy, and health care policy.
About the Role
1889 Institute seeks a motivated individual interested in conducting state-level public policy research to fill the full-time position of Research Associate. This person will collaboratively assist the current cadre of scholars. All writing will have relevance to policy in Oklahoma, though it can also potentially be national in scope. Research conducted will fall within the purview and research schedule of 1889 Institute. Salary will be commensurate with experience and a health insurance plan is provided.
Research Associate Responsibilities:
- Research topics tuned to the particular interests and expertise of the Associate
- Write and assist in editing, which could include research summaries, research reports, letters to the editor, commentaries, and blog posts
- Potentially write press releases and mass email communications
- Interacting with media, lawmakers, and advocacy groups to inform them of Institute research
Research Associate Qualifications:
- 0-2 years of experience (internships may be considered experience)
- Desire to learn and engage with new and challenging policy issues
- Flexibility within our small organization is highly valued
- Well-developed research skills
- Ability to work at a high professional level without constant supervision
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Comfort working with and around others
- Experience dealing with lawmakers and agency officials is a plus
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover Letter expressing reasons for interest
- Resume expanding on relevant experience
- Two writing samples; samples relevant to work the 1889 Institute conducts is preferred, otherwise any other recent samples accepted
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: http://talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Network Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.