Senior Fellow, Cybersecurity and Emerging Threats
Senior Fellow, Cybersecurity and Emerging Threats
R Street Institute
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country—is seeking an energetic senior fellow in cybersecurity and emerging threats to join an outstanding team that is passionate about finding real solutions to some of the toughest challenges in cyber; data privacy and security; and emerging threats. Areas of focus include U.S. cyber policy, regulation and legislation with an emphasis on cyber impacts on the private sector; emerging cyber and national security threats; and defense and military cyber issues. As part of this role, the resident senior fellow will work with the policy director to define specific research topics that align with these three categories. If you want to join a growing, upbeat organization and do something extraordinary, this may be just the opportunity you need!
Your typical day at R Street may include researching and writing exceptional policy papers, op-eds and blog posts about significant topics related to cybersecurity and emerging threats; engaging directly with leaders on key policy issue areas; and interacting with national and local media outlets to educate and provide context on the most significant cyber and emerging threats issues.
This is a full-time, salaried position that reports to the policy director of the Cybersecurity and Emerging Threats program.
- Help oversee and lead research projects that are high quality, highly credible and timely as they relate to the team’s cyber portfolio.
- Conduct independent research and produce novel written products targeted to a variety of audiences (e.g., legislators, regulators, industry and the general public) on a variety of cyber-related topics. This will entail a mixture of products like op-eds, regulatory comments and policy papers.
- Organize public events and/or convenings on cyber-related topics and engage external stakeholders to help bolster the team’s reputation and thought leadership.
- Stay on top of the field to identify and address over-the-horizon and white space issues, especially those involving the cybersecurity aspects of cutting-edge technology.
- Serve as an established subject matter expert for an array of public and private sector partners (e.g., media, meetings with Capitol Hill staff or legislators, and federal government leaders) and through event speeches and presentations.
- Assist the policy director in writing funding proposals; developing program strategy and design; identifying budget and resource needs for the assigned portfolio; and serving as a senior member of the cyber team.
- Collaborate across the organization with government affairs, editorial and communications teams to identify target audiences and engage with them consistently and effectively, along with other policy teams, as appropriate.
- Periodic lookout shifts to guard against ninja infiltration.
Skills and Qualifications
- No particular educational background is required: Cyber experience in the federal government, military and/or private sector is preferred. A proven track record of achieving results is far more meaningful than credentials.
- A strong writer with exceptional analytical and communications skills with an ability to synthesize complex information quickly and explain complicated concepts clearly and concisely
- Superior interpersonal skills and a strong team orientation
- Ability to serve effectively in a cross-functional role working simultaneously with several different R Street organizational units
- A self-starter with excellent attention to detail and an ability to manage competing interests and priorities effectively
- Passion for free markets and limited, effective government
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization!
We offer a flexible working arrangement with opportunities to work remotely. Travel is on an as-needed basis and may include trips to the Washington, D.C. area for organization-wide events, Hill meetings/testimony, and the like as well as trips outside of the D.C. area for cyber-relevant conferences and speaking opportunities. R Street is growing rapidly but remains a close-knit team, utilizing our D.C. office space to ensure our policy teams have an opportunity to connect in person regularly.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
We strive to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving and two weeks of holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between child care assistance, pet care assistance or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
R Street is committed to a workplace that values diversity, equity and inclusion. We believe having a more diverse workforce will strengthen R Street’s ability to innovate, achieve our mission and support long-term systemic change. As people dedicated to limited, effective government and free markets, we understand that a free society achieves its greatest triumphs by allowing and facilitating a wide variety of approaches to public policy problems. The concept of “broad coalitions,” one of our core operating principles, stems from that insight. People of all races, religions, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, life experiences and socioeconomic backgrounds perform at the highest levels in every type of work that we do and have shaped the principles to which we subscribe. We believe that searching for talent everywhere is an integral part of living up to our principles.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Interviews will be held virtually, via Zoom.
To apply, you must upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF at https://street.applytojob.com/apply/FSMaylfbLR/Senior-Fellow-Cybersecurity-And-Emerging-Threats?source=AFF