Senior State Tax Policy Analyst – Tax Foundation – Washington, DC or Virtual Office
Senior State Tax Policy Analyst
Washington, DC or Virtual Office
About the Tax Foundation
The Tax Foundation is the nation’s leading independent tax policy 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Since 1937, our principled research, insightful analysis, and engaged experts have informed smarter tax policy at the federal, state, and global levels. For over 80 years, our goal has remained the same: to improve lives through tax policies that lead to greater economic growth and opportunity.
The Tax Foundation seeks a Senior Tax Policy Analyst to join our state policy team. The state team produces several annual studies and dozens of smaller reports each year, testifies and presents on tax proposals across the country, educates the public through regular media appearances, and works with lawmakers and policy organizations at the national level and in the states to promote smarter, pro-growth tax policy.
A successful candidate will be responsible for completing high-profile annual projects, developing projects that advance the effectiveness of our research agenda, and producing blog posts, op-eds, letters to the editor, and longer reports that advance principled tax policy, in addition to legislative testimony, media appearances, and presentations before key stakeholders.
The Senior Tax Policy Analyst reports to the Vice President of State Projects and can work from Tax Foundation’s Washington, DC office or from a virtual office elsewhere in the country.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of current state tax policy and economic issues, and identify new research opportunities
- Research and write studies, reports, blog posts, and op-eds on state tax issues
- Expand the Tax Foundation’s profile with policymakers, academics, the media, and interested stakeholders through media appearances, responses to inquiries, and presentations/briefings
Qualifications and Skills
- 5+ years of experience in economics, public finance, public policy, political science, or government
- Advanced degree in economics, public policy, political science, or related field preferred but not required
- Experience researching and writing about tax/public finance policy preferred but not required
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to work well both independently and with a team, often on tight deadlines
- Regular travel required (1-2 trips per month) once work travel resumes, and frequency may increase with tenure
Why Work at Tax Foundation?
At the Tax Foundation you can educate the public, elevate public discourse, and improve public policy, all while having fun! In addition, Tax Foundation offers a competitive salary based on qualifications and experience. Benefits include HSA-based health coverage with employer contributions, a 401(k) retirement plan with 100% match on the first 5%, and we cover 100% of the premiums for dental and vision coverage and life/AD&D/LTD insurance. We offer 12 paid holidays and 15 vacation days per year and generous sick leave, plus our office is closed the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. We also offer casual and early-release Fridays.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter, which should detail your interest in this position/Tax Foundation’s work and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.