The Institute for Justice seeks an experienced Writer to join our growing fundraising team as we work to raise the Institute’s $38 million budget annually. This position is ideal for a motivated self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and is focused on producing results. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record of producing compelling, action-oriented narratives for variety of audiences and be able to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Write breaking news update emails for IJ’s broad donor base
- Draft high-dollar and low-dollar donor acquisition letters
- Develop lead and chase emails for quarterly appeal campaigns
- Assist with various donor communications such as responses to inquiries, solicitation letters, and other correspondence
- Draft cultivation and solicitation materials for IJ’s giving clubs
- Identify and execute other donor cultivation opportunities
- At least 2 years of writing experience in journalism or a communications-related field
- Strong philosophical commitment to promoting constitutional rights and challenging government abuse
- Ability to synthesize and communicate complex issues clearly and concisely, adapting writing styles for varied audiences
- Ability to execute multiple projects while meeting tight deadlines
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage confidential information with discretion
- Experience in development or marketing a plus, but not required
We do not expect every candidate to be equally skilled in all areas described above, and this is not a complete list of all relevant qualifications an applicant might bring to the job; please tell us about your other strengths and experience not mentioned here that may be valuable to this role. Reaching talent across a range of backgrounds and experiences is deeply important to us. If you do not have the exact combination of skills listed here but are still interested in this role and/or in the Institute for Justice, we'd love to hear from you.
- Hybrid work schedule
- Flexible work hours with our core business hours of 10am and 4pm
- Work from home equipment reimbursement
- Casual dress code
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance (IJ covers 100% of individual premiums)
- Free Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, and Life insurance plans
- HSA employer contributions
- 401(k) with employer matches
- Generous PTO including a paid personal day and 12 paid holidays
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter detailing how your experience will ensure success in this position along with two to three brief writing samples of 1-2 pages each (case statements, op-eds, letters of inquiry, executive correspondence, or excerpts of grant reports and proposals) here.
No phone calls, please.
IJ is an equal opportunity employer.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At IJ we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.