CANCELED: Volunteer Day + Lunch with AF-DC and Novus Society
March 21, 2020 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
**Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, we have decided to cancel this event. We are disappointed that we will be unable to hold this event, but the health and safety of our members remains our top priority. Please stay tuned to americasfuture.org for further event updates.**
Join America’s Future and the Novus Society on Saturday, March 21st to give back to the DC community and learn the importance of philanthropy and volunteerism.
We’ll start the day at 10:00 am at two different amazing DC charities. After spending a few hours volunteering, we will meet up for lunch and a time to share about the day. Over lunch, we’ll mix and mingle with Novus Society members and the America’s Future Foundation DC chapter, to share about our experience from the morning and why we volunteer in our communities.
Run-down of the day:
Prior to the event you will be split into one of two groups. You will meet with your group to volunteer at one of the amazing DC charities we’ve partnered with: Washington Parks and People and We Are Family.
Below you will find a descriptions of each location, details about how we will be volunteering and other instructions. We will be volunteering from 10am until 12pm.
Afterward, we will leave our respective volunteer sites to head to Fado’s Irish Pub. Lunch will be available starting at 12:30 pm, and you are welcome to stay and mingle until 3:00 pm.
Each site will have a captain, but for overall event questions please reach out to Lydia Pitea: [email protected] or 973-632-1244.
Location 1: Washington Parks and People – 16th St NW &, W St NW, Washington, DC 20009
We will be cleaning up Meridian Hill Park in DC. The closest metro stop is U Street on the yellow line. If you choose to drive, there is street parking available in the area.
This site is great for people who like to be around nature and don’t mind getting dirty! Parks and People will be providing gloves, trash bags, and other gardening tools. Novus will be bringing coffee and granola bars.
Location 2: We Are Family – Metropolitan Community Church 474 Ridge St. NW Washington, DC
We will be delivering groceries to elderly citizens in the Shaw area of DC. The closest metro stop is Mt Vernon Square on the yellow line. Street parking is available for those who drive. Having a car can be a big help for the deliveries, so just let Lydia know if you are interested in driving for this site event. There will be a brief orientation at the church at 10:00 am before breaking into smaller groups with the groceries and lists of where to make deliveries.
This opportunity is great for people who enjoy that human element and want to serve others directly. (Also for people who don’t mind carrying groceries).
*Please preference which site you’d like to volunteer at within the order form in Eventbrite.
Fado’s Irish Pub – 808 7th St NW, Washington, DC 20001
We will meet for our private lunch beginning at 12:30 pm. The closest metro is Gallery Place on the yellow line. We have the room until 3:00 pm. So stay as long as you like or leave when you need to.
Reminders and considerations:
– Please be on time or early. If you arrive after 10am, you will miss important instructions and may not be able to volunteer.
– Both sites welcome children ages 8 and up (keep in mind you are responsible for your kids).
– It’s the first weekend of Spring! – Please come prepared for different types of weather: it may be 78 degrees that day and sunny, or it may be 58 degrees and windy.
– In the event of heavy rain, we will cancel as both locations are outside. We will notify you via the email you register with and let you know when we reschedule (which might be in the fall).
– You are welcome to bring friends and family. Please simply make sure they register as we need an accurate headcount for all locations.
– You will be asked to sign safety waivers at each site before beginning.
– We will be sending reminder emails and follow ups with more information as we get closer to the date, but please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions.