Writing Fellows Program
Are you an aspiring writer at the beginning stages of your career? Isn’t it time you got published? If accepted to AFF’s Writing Fellows Program, you’ll:
- Improve your writing skills in policy, journalism, and more!
- Learn how to get published
- Network with well-known DC writers and editors
- Get one-on-one mentoring
**The deadline for Spring 2019 applications is approaching soon! Apply by Dec. 18, 2018.**
About the Program
Sessions are held on Tuesday (virtual fellows) or Wednesday (DC fellows) evenings from 6:30-8:30 pm for 6 weeks and include featured editors and writers in small-group writing workshops. Food and beverages are provided during the sessions.
Apply to attend in person in Washington, DC, or virtually via webcam. Attendance, whether in person or virtual, at all six evening sessions is mandatory.
Alumni of the program have been published in the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Examiner, National Review, Reason, Forbes, the Daily Caller, and many other publications. They have gone on to work as reporters and opinion writers at prominent media outlets, as staffers in the White House and on Capitol Hill, and as senior fellows at think-tanks.
Past speakers and guests have included:
Mollie Hemingway, senior editor at The Federalist
Tim Carney, commentary editor at the Washington Examiner
Philip Klein, managing editor at the Washington Examiner
Alexis Simendinger, RealClearPolitics White House Correspondent
Anneke Green, Senior Director at White House Writers Group
Peter Suderman, features editor at Reason Magazine
Ben Domenech, founder and publisher of The Federalist
Romina Boccia, research fellow at the Heritage Foundation
Julian Sanchez, senior fellow at the Cato Institute
Spring Season Cohort
- Virtual Fellowship: Tuesdays from Feb. 5 – March 19, 2019
- DC Fellowship: Wednesdays from Feb. 13 – March 27, 2019
- Applications due December 18, 2018
Summer Season Cohort
- Virtual Fellowship: Tuesdays from June 4 – July 16
- DC Fellowship: Wednesdays from June 5 – July17
- Applications due April 26
Fall Season Cohort
- Virtual Fellowship: Tuesdays from Sept. 24 – Nov. 5
- DC Fellowship: Wednesdays from Sept. 25 – Nov. 6
- Applications due August 16
How to Apply
Applicants will need to submit:
- Completed application
- A resume
- Two published writing samples (no more than 1,000 words each)
A letter of recommendation may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, but is not required.
Accepted applicants will be notified after the application deadline. Additional questions should be directed to email@example.com.